Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so thanks to all that helped before. Still looking for a monster and have 4-5 tho to spend. Im in OH(none really around here Im in to) and a guy has an 05 s28 dark with 7400 miles, arrow full carbon exhaust, handle bar risers(nice) and carbon seat cowl. The bike was originally owned by his friend and WAS dropped with minimal damage which was all fixed minus some minor scratches on clutch cover and exhaust. He has been cool with sending me tons of pics and bike looks great. It is now being serviced and he is going to let me know about the outcome and even let me talk to the mechanic. Bike is in Atlanta so will be a trip. He is asking 5k but is flexible. What do you all think?? Im very interested...the bike looks real clean in the pics and dude seems trustworthy...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
a little help??

cmon people! someone has to have an opinion...any s2r 800 owners out there?? Im thinking in the realm of 4500-5k is a good price...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good used Ducati's are hard to get ... if the price is right, and you are familiar with the bike's background I would say don't let it pass. If you post photos and asking price you will probably get more replies.

·
Registered
84 Posts
5k is the KBB retail price for this model/year. The bike has some great mods however as it is slightly damage/scratches and is in Atlanta, I think $4500 is better price to pay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently purchased my first monster, second ducati. A 06 S2R 800 red and white with the white wheels, 8000 miles. Service records for everything, including the 7500 mile service with new belts. Brand new tires,frame sliders and bar end mirrors but otherwise completely stock for $4300.00. Now this is in Ca the land of ducatis, or at least it seems like it. Hope it helps Ryan:cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ouch ryan that doesnt help thats just bragging!..haha seriously yea I guess there are those deals out there...I havent seen any. To gondolier...I was thinking the same thing, although he has sent me about 20 pics and the bike is clean besides the scratches on the clutch cover and exhaust. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
84 Posts
For majority of US, motorcycles are seasonal demand products. Prices would vary significantly throughout the year. From May-July is the peak time, you will struggle to find anything better unless you are willing to wait.

Good luck with the purchase.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I just posted a couple of monsters. I am located in Madison wisconsin. My 800 is matte black and new tires going on this week. No scratches on bike. added arrow exhaust. Pics available via email or as soon as I get some help posting them :)
[email protected]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Adam,

Check the value on NADA. Kelley is pretty limitted on establishing a comprehensive value on bikes, they don't calculate aftermarket components, etc. NADA takes those things into account when establishing value. Use the link below:

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.a...50587&l=1&w=23&p=38&f=5693&gc=mc&gtc=mc&any=0

A couple of tips...be patient, you can only spend the money once and the economy is on your side especially if you have a pile of CASH. NADA says that bike is $4048 - 5048 with the exhaust however the exhaust is scratched. Its been dropped and not returned to its former condition, i.e. scratches on exhaust and clutch cover. How much did this dude "love" the bike if he didn't replace that stuff? If he didn't "love" her did he take care of her or just hop on and whip her ass when he wanted a rush? (sorry honey...lol) It's a Dark model...attractive but stripped down and in plentiful supply. You shouldn't feel pushed to jump on this one even if you have to wait a few weeks to a month for another bike to look at. This is an easy find, a stripped down Duc with exhaust thats been dropped.

This is not a brag...its the result of a long, methodical, successful search: I just picked up a 2005 S4R. The bike had a listing price that was above what I thought was reasonable but within NADA value. It had colors I liked (blue, white stripe, same color blue frame) so I took a look. 6100 miles (still needed 6K service $750 +shims), Arrow full carbon ($1300 list) , Arrow steering damper ($499), Sargeant seat ($375), frame sliders ($150), bar end mirrors. NADA had her at $6561 - $8168 which takes into account some but not all of the mods. Also, NADA says the exhaust adds $205 - 233 to the bike but if you were to buy a bike without it it would be $1300 plus tuning so maybe a slightly larger upcharge is in order if you're trying to justify the purchase to yourself. I landed the bike for $7200, literaly a stack of seventy two $100 bills. I would have went higher because the colors and model were right and the history was well documented with all mods installed at the Duc dealer but I was able to respectfully negotiate down because it needed the service. I can't emphasize enough how much bargaining power a stack of cash has. A seemless, easy exchange for cash weighs heavy on a seller's mind. A kid who has $1500 to put down but then has to go call his grandmom and/or rich uncle to come up with the rest is a PIA to deal with. People like getting paid.

In my opinion the only attractive detail about the offer is that the pipes are in place. They are much mroe expensive to add later than to buy installed. Take a carefull look inside the cans with a flashlight or pull a plug to get an idea of whether the tune was done right after they were added. My knee jerk would be to let this one slide unless you're really in love with it and can nail it for around 4K.

Sorry to be a downer...

-BunnMan

PS: I am now waiting for the 6K service to be complete and the title should arrive in the mail today...from OH :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks bunnman for your insightful response. Yea it is easy to be carried away. I have been pretty methodical myself although it is easy to get excited. I have looked at quite a few in person and overall you are right, however, I have much less to spend and that limits my overall ceiling as to what I can find for a good price. Thanks for the advice though...I made him an offer close to that and lets see if he takes it...another plus is its being serviced right know as we speak and its ready to ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts