Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 1200R Rode it two days ago and it was so hot when I was in traffic. It was only 65 degrees outside. Is there anyway to cut down the heat? I almost burn my leg on the heat shield.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Help

The bike temp was 180 but the heat I was feeling was hotter than any of previous bikes. I still have the stock muffler on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your going to find it hard pressed for many replies of the positive note on here, simply because the temp is normal. I have a 17 R stock and it's the same. You can wrap your headers but it aesthetically unpleasing to the eye or get it sprayed ( ceramic coated) but that may be ugly too and a waist of money...but mostly the heat will still remain. Ducs don't like to be at stoplights or going slow...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
It's true, the pipe is hot on the right thigh.
Wear leathers or insulated gear if cold out.
Put right foot on peg at a stop.
Or, hold your leg away from the pipe while at a stop, bowlegged and awkward.
I have no issue once underway. But long red lights suck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Seems to be the accepted norm for Ducati's. I have a 2019 1200 and I don't feel the heat on my thigh. I feel it under my ass a little if I am in traffic. But I don't complain because the bike makes me super happy.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Is it safe to say changing the heat shield will make no difference?
Is there an aftermarket one that claims to help? Maybe carbon fiber? It does not seem to conduct heat much.
I seem to recall reading something about it, but don't recall details.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The carbon heat shield doesn’t do much. I have it on my 1200R. For any real difference you would need to ceramic coat your pipes or wrap them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah I rode my 1200 through Manhattan yesterday and I can rest my leg on the carbon fiber heat shield. Its not that hot. I have the carbon shield on top of the original black shield. I do also have a Comp Werkes muffler.

I don't know if fitting an exhaust with no cat will help, it certainly does on other Ducati models.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As far as heat shields go, the stock heat shield is three layers of material. The innermost piece is the one that has heat shielding material on it, and does most of the work. The outside layers are mostly to provide a layer of airflow between your leg and the exhaust. As far as I know, the carbon fiber options simply replace the outermost layer (keeping the stock inner pieces), so I don't think it would make that much of a difference.

I did notice a significant difference when I did a full-exhaust replacement. Overall, the bike definitely runs cooler, and the exhaust heat is less in many conditions. I also notice that the bike cools quicker when I shut it off at the end of a ride, indicating that heat is dissipating better.

That said, I live in a warm climate, and when I get in a situation where the bike is running and not moving much, or after riding the bike hard, it is still plenty hot. My other bikes get just as hot temp-wise, but have bodywork and under-bike exhaust to keep the heat away from me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently wrapped my exhaust, I can say it had a very real difference for me while riding. I actually don't hate the color, it's "Titanium".

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011B99B0I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

I haven't decided if I want to finish the rest of the exhaust or leave it as is, but I'm more more interested in my own comfort than what someone thinks looks good or not. That said, I like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently wrapped my exhaust, I can say it had a very real difference for me while riding. I actually don't hate the color, it's "Titanium".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011B99B0I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't decided if I want to finish the rest of the exhaust or leave it as is, but I'm more more interested in my own comfort than what someone thinks looks good or not. That said, I like it.
How does it help with heat while sitting? I have no complaints when riding my 821 but as soon as I'm stuck at a light/ traffic for 5 minutes it gets ridiculous

Also did you use 1 roll or 2 for that?

·
Registered
45 Posts
How does it help with heat while sitting? I have no complaints when riding my 821 but as soon as I'm stuck at a light/ traffic for 5 minutes it gets ridiculous

Also did you use 1 roll or 2 for that?
A little over half a roll and definitely noticed a difference while sitting. It makes sense it insulates the heat from dissipating through to your legs and thighs.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
As an update, I took a pretty lengthy ride yesterday, weather was much warmer, stop and go traffic and spirited riding, and I am adament that the wrap has made a substantial difference. I'm quite happy and would wrap my headers again in a heart beat.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts