Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a little problem with the wireing when im cutting of the tail. Can someone post a manual how to rewire when you do a tailcut ore maby post suggestions on how to do it.

Best regards

noob

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
You should not need to rewire anything. You will need to re-route some of the wires, but that's a simple job. Just disconnect all the tail end lights and pull the wireing toward the front of the bike, and get it out of the way while you're chopping and installing the new brackets. Once the new brackets are in, it should be pretty clear as to where you need to route the wires.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Just work it back toward the front of the bike and set it up so it sits by the new position for the brake light. You'll have some extra lenght - but you dont need to cut anything.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Storebror said:
What about the thick wire for the brake lights??
Are you sure that's an electrical wire?

If you're talking about the black arc at the very rear going from one frame tube to the other, that's the cable for the seat release mechanism.

You'll need to disconnect the cable at the lock end and feed it out through the tailsection.

After you chop the frame you can decide where to reroute it.

On my roommate's bike (with the old style cable like yours) we ran the cable behind the side panel below the seat and ziptied it to the frame.

We cut the lock assembly off the frame and threw it away while doing the tailchop. Now you just have to reach behind the side panel and pull the end of the cable to pop the seat off. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Rameses said:
On my roommate's bike (with the old style cable like yours) we ran the cable behind the side panel below the seat and ziptied it to the frame.

We cut the lock assembly off the frame and threw it away while doing the tailchop. Now you just have to reach behind the side panel and pull the end of the cable to pop the seat off. [thumbsup]
Oh... so if I ever see Jobu's bike in person, we can play hide and go seek with his seat?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
People have found that a plumbing pipe cutter to reallly be ideal. Might take a little longer, but you get a nice, even and square cut. Onces done it basically needs no dressing or smoothing like one you might get with a saw.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
yuu said:
Oh... so if I ever see Jobu's bike in person, we can play hide and go seek with his seat?
;D You didn't hear it from me.

Storebror said:
Do you think I need some kind of machine saw or is it enough with a hand was??
We used a hacksaw with no problems.

If you plan on cutting the lock off too, I'd either use a reciprocating saw or a die grinder.

The hacksaw didn't get very close to the frame tubes and left a lot of the weld. We didn't worry about it though since we're stripping the frame for powdercoating this winter and will take care of it then.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just remember after you cut the frame,use touch-up paint or something on the stubs..we don't want rusty to show up.I hate him!..goodluck [thumbsup]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tail is off!! [thumbsup]

Now its just the rest left :-\

I will post a picrute when its all finnished. I should have finished it this weekend I think!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.