Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone be interested in coming down to Waco to give me some help with learning how to ride? I'll buy lunch or something like that but some help would be really appreciated since the bike is already banged up enough (I got it used, some dude layed it over on one side and the fuel tank is creased, and it has a lot of scratch marks on the rear seat cover, but those are replaceable...) and I'd like to keep anything else from being my fault anytime soon. Post on here or send me a PM and let me know. Thanks guys!

Joseph

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I would recommend you sign up for a MSF course. That is going to be your best bet. Contact the Ducati shop there in Waco and they would be able to point you in the right direction. Most of us here took the MSF course at one time or another. It is really useful.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right...well I took the basic rider MSF course before I got my license, but I was talking about specifically with my little monster. :) The MSF couse was great, don't get me wrong, and I learned a lot, but the bikes there...let's just say the definitely don't equal up. Or to put it another way...I was watching The Price is Right the other morning and saw a motorcycle on there that was exactly the same kind as the one that I took my MSF course on. ;D

·
Registered
650 Posts
If all else fails just find an empty parking lot on an early Sunday morning and practice the skills that were presented in the MSF class until you're comfortable. Then step out onto ground streets when the traffic is low and build from there. Then highways at non-peak times, etc. etc.

The DFW group is probably a bit closer than most folks here so you may want to give a shout over there.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I wouldn't mind coming up one weekend and helping out, unfortunately, with the shuttle in the air and the holidays so close, I'm only getting about 3 hours of useful time during the days to do anything :-\

If you're still in need of some support come January, I'd be more than happy to come out with one or two more folks, stick you right behind the leader of the group, give you wide margins, and take a long ride together. I think this is probably the best way to get you a little more comfortable, and I figure by the time we're able to do this, you'll have had enough practice in parking lots by yourself. [thumbsup]

I know in our last ride, texasduc got at least a few things that made his riding a whole lot more comfortable!

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
+1 on parking lots. Early Sundays or late at night during the week. Just make sure the lot is well lighted.
Also, go to your local shop. Chances are everyone there rides, and they'll know most local clubs, events and classes available. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck and ride on. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
141 Posts
+1 on the advanced MSF.
it will definitely increase your confidence on your own bike.
you put some good cash into that machine and your life is invaluable.
Spend the 75-100 bucks and learn how to ride. you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
just a tip, make sure that either 1. someone goes with you when practicing or at the least 2. make sure someone knows where you're at and you have a phone with you.

would suck if you dropped the bike or something else happened and you needed help. Not to be negative, just be careful

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Ducatiflyboy,
All these guys have given you some great advice. I know that's alot to take in at once, but take it one step at a time. I think there's enough advice here to get you started. I have one more piece of advice that hopefully won't make your head burst :-X. Relax, smile & enjoy the ride (even if it is in a parking lot [laugh]). And congratulations on purchasing a Duc, I haven't been riding long myself but the people I've met that ride Ducs are some of the most interesting and responsible people I've ever known to ride motorcycles. [clap]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha thanks! I think Ducatistas are the most responsible because we already spent enough money on our bike to not wanna do something stupid to it. :) I personally have a little bit of a lead foot when it comes to driving my car (the state of Texas makes good money off of me ::) ) but I thing that knowing the risks that I DO know (and the ones I don't yet) about riding a bike will make me a more careful rider for sure and a safer driver as well. I've definitely noticed that my awareness level of other drivers and especially riders has heightened since I took my MSF basic rider course.

Hiero--no negativity sensed at all, it makes total and practical sense to do so. I'm having the guys from the euro shop here in town that I bought my monster at deliver it straight to a parking lot and I'm gonna meet them there. The parking lot that I took my MSF course on has the course painted onto the parking lot (or is that standard for all the MSF stuff?) so I was plannin on going out there to get used to the bike. As for a long ride, that sounds sweet, and I definitely would be down for that, maybe in late January or early-mid February, weather pending of course.

The advanced MSF course...I was gonna wait about 6 months before I did that. I gotta get comfortable on the bike with the skills that I have first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.