Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

Im gonna be installing cyclecat frame sliders on my M620, whats the best way to support the engine while removing the engine bolt? I have access to a jack but where do support the engine from without damaging the exhaust manifold etc? I recall seeing detailed instructions on someones FAQ but i cant seem to find the website. If someone has install tips, please post.

Thanks
Don

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I just took the bolt that came with the Cyclecat kit and used a brass hammer and tapped the old one out with the new one. Didnt need to support the engine. Use a 2x4 on top of the jack pad

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Don't use a hammer!!!!!!

Whew, sorry, didn't mean to yell. ;)

Use a regular car jack with some wood (like a piece of 2x4, as ducman said) to support the engine. The bolt should just slide out with a small amount of pressure with the new bolt. If it doesn't, then adjust the jack up and down till you get it.

I would highly suggest removing the lower header pipe to do this. Heck it'll give you a chance to polish it up and replace the gaskets. :D

I recently installed those sliders on my M900. Click Here for pics.

-dj

S

·
0 Posts
I've just fitted Cuclecat sliders to my M900. The kit comes with good instructions, including how to jack up the motor.
I found one of the adapter cylinders didn't fit in the frame holes on one side, so I machined it slightly to reduce it's diameter (to allow clearance between frame and adapter).
Otherwise installation was easy ;)
...Simon

V

·
0 Posts
I did want duckman851 did except just pushed the stock bolt out with the cycle cat bolt.It came out real easy try it no problems....Enjoy

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Don't use a hammer!!!!!!

Whew, sorry, didn't mean to yell. ;)

-dj
Why not? A brass (read soft head) hammer with light taps poses no threat to the threading on the bolt, or if you do think itll hurt them you can thread the boss on and use the light tap method. I stand by my method. Ive installed a few sets this way and never had a problem. Just dont get hamfisted.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
That's true, I guess, if you're super careful. Like ya said, hamfisting bad. I guess I'm just extra paranoid. ;D

I found that with the jack just snugged up to the engine I could push the old bolt out with the new using very light pressure. Also makes it real easy to adjust it side to side to get it centered perfectly.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Speaking of the cycle cats...
Who has the best price on them?

any good deals around?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All, thanks for your replies!!!

Ordered my Cyclecats from Motowheels, become a member and you get a discount all their parts. No cost to join. I think i paid $147+shipping

1 - 10 of 10 Posts