Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted this under another thread, but i got good advice from gnew who thought more helpful words of wisdom might come in if i starting a new thread.

so - let me start by apologizing if all my questions are retarded or use the wrong terminology. (did my subject line even make sense? oh well...) here's the deal:

i want to surprise my boyfriend with high mount pipes, and have no idea where to begin. i've just wasted 2 full workdays researching tons of different options.

So far it seems like carbon fiber are the best? (or at least, i like them the best) or are titanium better? (the mentality i'm working on is if you're going to do it, might as well do it right...) I know he likes the look of the high ones (who doesn't really?) but i don't know if he likes the really loud ones, or if they make ones that are similar in sound to what comes with the stock monsters. (i guess that's what i'd go with)

do you guys think this is even the kind of thing i can do as a surprise, considering i know absolutely nothing about what i should get him?

what i'd most like to do is get the Ducati Performance pipes, which i saw in their catalog, cause i figure they made the bike, they must make good mods. Anyone agree, disagree? And here's a real doosey - where/how do i buy them from ducati? authorized dealer? i don't have their catalog but could probably steal my boyfriend's one day when he's out ridiing.

Any help is very much appreciated... in the end, i'd like him to be psyched about the gift, not disappointed that i didn't get the "right" ones. so thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
MA-

I have just a couple more suggestions for you. First, if no one replies to your thread soon enough, it drops off the "recent posts" page and only the post-vampires will hunt it out and reply. Second, it would really help to know exactly what monster (size and year) your boyfriend has so we can point you in the right direction and people with that same bike can chime in with their $.02.

My personal suggestion is www.motostrano.com I spent a LOT of money at Joe's store and he's got some fantastic customer service and information. If you email him with questions, he typically replies that day or the next.

Again, let us know what bike we're dealing with and we can better help ya

-Mic

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are many great options, too many to choose from. But personally I like the Sil Motor and Termingini's. As for the sound I think most guys like it loud....it attracks allot of attention sometimes bad though (cops). Anyway I have the Sil Motor 105 dB pipes, looks and sounds great. I think Sil makes a lower dB pipe as well for a tamer sound. As for Carbon or Titanium, both are good carbon fades over time, but is lighter, and is cool to the touch after long rides.

Here's a good link with lots of different brands.

They also have great service it took only three days to get mine.

Hope you find what your looking for.

http://www.motostrano-store.com/motostrano/silmotor.html

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the responses! he has (oh goodness, i hope he's not reading this!) an 800. an '03 I think. yellow. classic. they are such beautiful machines!

i checked out motostrano the other day. they seemed to have a lot of selection, which was part of the problem since i knew nothing as of yesterday. the ones i saw that were high were made by Sil Motor and Arrow. I'll check out termingili's, too. and will definitely give Joe a call or email. i think talking to someone would probably be helpful.

i've learned so much in just the past few days - i'll definitely check out the FAQs too. bet there's tons more for me there...

i know if i just gave him a picture of the new pipes and said he could choose, he'd never actually let me get them for him, so i'd really love to get it right! plus, the sheer look of joy on his face will be totally worth the time researching all the options!

thanks again!
-monster admirer

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dumb question - what's the difference between slip-ons and full-system with headers? (besides cost, and dare i say, whoops looks like he'll be getting the slip ons! nah, just joking.)

does anyone know where i can get DP pipes? motostrano didn't seem to carry them... although, no one has made a comment on them yet, so maybe they're just not that good. anyone know anything about them?

thanks!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
full system has the header pipes (the pipe that goes all the way to the motor), unless he has engine mods and such dont spend the money on a full system. Also, some of the nicest high mounts pipes i have seen are the Arrows, i think the the way they mount looks better on the bike. oh and dump him and be my GF :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i could be a 6-headed freak or a total stalker! don't you know you can't say stuff like that to people you've never met?

where were we - he has no mods as of yet, so slip ons seem like they'd be fine. will there be other things i'll need to get in addition? like paper clips and puffy paints?

Or will whatever high pipes i get come with all the necessary screws and gadgets he'll need to attach them? and will he be able to do it himself? or will i need to take it someplace to get the work done for him? my oh my, i think he'll need to go out of town in order to get all this done without him knowing!

thanks for all the advice. really - it helps so much!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he'll be able to put them on himself, he will probably want to remap the ecu for the fuel injection (i have no clue about this, my bike has carbs not efi) so it wont run lean, just get him the pipes, they are the only BIG cost, he'll be happy

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
MA-

Not too many people by the DP/termignoni pipes because of cost.

Another thing to watch for-sometimes high-mounts require the removal of the passenger pegs and/or the turn signals. That's a good question to ask when you purchase.

On my M620, I had Gianelli's, which looked really nice (search the pictures for "gianelli" and you should find them), but the c/f was starting to fade and the badge was almost totally illegible when I sold the bike.

Definitely let us know which way you go!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Mic -
i definitely don't want to lose the passenger pegs - how could i ride along?. (there are certain priorities afterall).

i think i'm going to have to break down and talk to a live human being on the phone...damn, i hate it when that happens!

i'll let you all know how it goes. my guess is i'll end up buying from whoever has the best return/exchange policy!

thanks so much for all the suggestions/advice. i feel far more informed now than i did just one day ago!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, so ducatiseattle says DP high mounts are $949 - and if you compare that to let's say Sil's which are $649 thru motostrano, well, does anyone have an opinion on that?

yes, it's 300 extra dollars, but as i said earlier, if you're going to do it, might as well do it right, right? how many times have you gotten the "slightly less expensive" part only to wish a few months later that you'd just forked out the $$.

plus, this gift will get me thru the next 4 major holidays, i figure. woo hoo for me!!!

any thoughts/opinions on difference or what those of you who would know about these things would prefer are greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
The Ducati Performance pipes are made by Remus. They have an extreme high that requires removal of turn signals. They also have a high mount that stock blinkers can stay. Carbon looks best with yellow monsters (Bumblebee look). The cost for carbon is $799.
Carbon do not get as hot, so you can ride with him, without burning your legs. The Remus come with all hardware to space the footpeg hangers out also, so stock footpegs can be used. Maxmoto in San Francisco is the distributor.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you rule! thanks for that last bit of info.

we are leaving for a week long snowboarding trip, but i'm going to be buying him this stuff when i return, so i will let all of you know what i decide. (and what his reaction is! if he doesn't like what i get, He's OUT!!!)

thanks to everyone for all the advice. i feel so knowledgable now!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
MA, don't rule out the Sil Motors as being not as good quality as the DPs! I had Sil's on my M900 and LOVED them. The shape is nice-oval instead or round. I think this fits the look better. They also have a great sound, sort of low and rumbly. Ti pipes don't get very hot either but I believe they have a carbon set if you prefer. Also, they mount quickly and don't require you to remove either the passenger pegs or the turn signals. Get the Sils and have his chip remapped for an additional hundred or so. Performance will be awesome (I noticed a huge difference in my bike) and that'll leave you with $100 to spend on yourself for being such a great girlfriend!!!

Here's some pics of my bike with the Sils:
http://homepage.mac.com/milesenglish/PhotoAlbum13.html

1 - 20 of 27 Posts