Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm a retard and I stripped the engine block where you screw the rearset and kickstand in. I was told the only way to fix this is to helicoil it. I've never used a helicoil before, can anyone PLEASE help me with how to do this as well as where I would find the neccessary parts?

Y

·
0 Posts
They are very easy to do. just take the bolt with you to a auto repair store and they will be able to sell you a proper size kit. they come with instructions but it is as simple as drilling the hole to the required size, tapping it, (both drill and tap usually in kit) then using there special tool run the helicoil in then snap out the tang. Then you can put the bolt back in.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Daryl,
Helicoil kits are fairly expensive (in this part of the world anyway) the tap is specific to the kit, then there's a drill & the helicoil install tool. They also usually come in a tin box with 5 Helicoil inserts.

If your only doing one it might be a lot cheaper to get one off someone you know, as the tap & ather accessories won't be of much use to you after you fix the only thread you have to fix.

the local Bike shop or an engineering firm might do the job for you cheaper that the cost of a kit.

Just a thought!

P

·
0 Posts
I stripped a bolt on a brake caliper mount once and felt exaclty like you semm to be now. I knew a cool mehanic who said he would show mw how to out a helicoil in (it really only a 5 min process). He did and after wathcing I felt a little silly asking for help, :-[ all you need to watch is that when you drill out the old threads make sure you are drilling stright. heres a sample price from www.cartools.com

HeliCoil 5546-6, M6x1 x 9.0mm Metric Coarse Thread Repair Kit
Code: hckmHLC5546-6
Price: $27.57
Quantity in Basket: none

·
Registered
461 Posts
Helicoils - best thing in the world. Once you have the kit for the right size, additional coils are available too. I've got three sizes, probably including what you need, but I'm down here in San Diego.

They really are easy to use, though you might have to have a tap wrench to use the tap that's included. Buy a chaep tap wrench of the appropriate size when you get the kit. That should set you back another $5, but is always handy to have for the next time you decide to use your calibrated wrist for torquing.

-Don

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Problem is though those taps are usually fairly tapered. You'd never get the tap in far enough to cut good enough threads for the helicoil. You'd need a flat bottom or bottoming tap for doing blind holes. That's getting pretty specialized. You wouldn't want to try and force it in and crack the case. Those holes are less than an inch deep I believe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts