Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, hopefully you guys can lend me some advice w/purchasing a '99 Monster I'm interested in. I found a guy who is selling a heavily worked on 99 Monster w/7000 miles. He did a lot of work to it with changing the bars, swingarm, pipes, etc. Bike looks great. The problem is that asking him if any service has been done to the bike, he said "his friend" did it, which sounded funny to me. I'm leary to purchase a bike where the valves were done privately by a guy, who may not know what he's doing. Is there anyway I can tell if the work was done right? Also, the tires have about 3k miles on them (I haven't seen the bike in person yet). Considering regular wear on them, would that be nearing time to replace them? I'm interested in the bike but I don't want to spend a ton after I get it, to have it running smoothly and reliably. Thanks for your help!

S

·
0 Posts
while not super-easy to do, valve adjustment's aren't exactly black magic. a few hours with a decent manual and the appropriate tools will result in good work, especially on the 2v motor'd bikes.
if you're really wary, give your local ducati shop a call and ask them for an estimate on a valve adjustment service, including belts. take that figure over to the seller, and haggle. the belts should be changed every 2 years or so fyi.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man, i'm just trying to figure out if its worth it to me to buy a modded bike w/o the maint. done, or a more stock one that i know the service history for. thanks again.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The first thing I did after buying a used Ducati last November was to put a new set of tires on it and take it to a Ducati mechanic to have everything checked. Now at least I know for sure what condition everything is in.

By the way, on the M900 I used to own, rear tires lasted between 2500 and 4000 miles and fronts about 6000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts