Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making my own clutch cover and I just had a question about the OEM one. Towards the bottom of the factory cover around the mounting hole the material is not flush with the rest of the sealing surface. Is there a reason for this? Also, if I just take off my clutch cover, is that going to hurt to run the bike? Thanks in advance for any help. I will try to get a pic of the area that I have in question.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Thats a drain, its there so incase any moisture were to get in there it can be drianed out of the cover when using a full one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. I thought that it was a drain due to it being on the bottom. I am new to the ducati world so I am just trying to be careful and not screw anything up too much. I am going to be making my own. I just need to get some dims. off of the stock so that I can machine a new one.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Post some pics when you finish your cover. I modified my stock cover and I'm happy with it (for now) but it's always cool to see personal fabed stuff.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hey Bengals Fan, FYI the cluch cover is a stamped two piece affair, or double layer affair, so if you are going to be putting holes in it or cutting into it, there may be a little seperation of the two layers if you push too hard in the drilling portion of the mod (don't ask me how I know this) It was no problem to fix I just used a little JB Weld and a clamp and glued back together the two layers where I pushed a little hard on the drill.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As for the 2 piece construction of the stock cover...thanks for the heads up. I am actually going to machine it from aluminum stock. Think I'm going to make a 2 piece type cover. I assume that the longer bolts are the ones holding things together...shorter ones are for the cover only?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Correct. The longer fasteners pull the case together (two of several fasteners performing this task). Torque on the longer fasteners and the cover (short) fasteners are the same (at least as listed for my S2R1k). All set at 9 nm.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
If you are making a cover with a Bengal tiger on it, we should talk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts