Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I have Carbon Fiber Ferracci slip ons for my 2000 M900S ie and I have seen alot of people talking about putting them on and needing to readjust the O2 sensor and so on... I have a K & N airfilter Im putting in as well... can anyone tell me what I need to do regarding adjusting things like my O2 sensor so the bike doesn't wind up running rough with the pipes on...
All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
For starters your monster doesn't have an O2 sensor, which can be a good thing. You can buy, if still available, a Ducati Performance 1.5 ECU for your monster from a dealer like Duc-Sea, BCM or AMS that will work great. Ducati Performance used to sell a setup with slip-ons, a K+N type air filter, open air box lid and 1.5 ECU. The 1.5 ECU could be purchased separately, for a few hundred dollars. If you live near BCM or Pro-Italia you can take your monster in and have an FIM re-flash done to the ECU to get the proper map for your setup. I think DynoJet also makes a Power Commander for our year monster which you can purchase and take to a DynoJet tuning center and have a map made for your setup.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just adding slip-ons and a K&N doesn't usually make things run lean enough that you'd have to adjust CO (not 02) levels, but if it does all it takes is a trip to a Duc dealer for minor (cheap) adjustments using their Mathesis tester. If you also open the airbox (search on this) then it would definitely require adjusting CO levels.
If you open the airbox and add slip-ons BCD has a nice FIM map for your ECU that smooths power delivery across the rev range, maybe even gives a little more, and it increases the rev limiter limits. Cost $180 when I had it done a couple years ago and all you have to do is ship them your ECU.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
As long as you don't modify the airbox, you should be able to leave your fuel injection system unmodified.

If it were me, I would put on the pipes then watch for signs of a lean running engine. When I added Ducati performance carbon pipes to my M900 years ago, it ran just fine (but louder) with no changes. If it seems to be too lean, then you can worry about getting the ECU reprogrammed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
How do you know if it is running lean? I put Sil Motor Slip Ons and also a KN and everything seems to run just fine. Well....it did before everything froze over here in MN.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Hailander said:
How do you know if it is running lean?
Do a search, just in the Tech section, for "running lean" and you'll get lots of hits.

It's easier with a carbureted bike, because you can give it a little choke and see if things improve. A lean running bike will run worse when cold and get better the hotter it gets. You'll notice a hesitation when you suddenly open the throttle.

If everything seems to run just fine, then leave it at that and you should be good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts