Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a kickstand safety switch interlock from evoluzione for my '00 900ie and could use some guidance...

I got as far as installing the new harness into the ducati harness that exits from the kickstand switch and running the black jacketed wire accross to the other side of the engine.

Now, I'm supposed to crimp a wire tap into the wire leading up from the neutral switch just before the single connector. Fine, I see that, it's the smaller of the two connectors (right center) in the picture below.

It then says to cut the two bullet connectors (and 6" wire) off of the main harness, strip 1/4" of the insulation off at the end of the main harness and crimp the supplied male spade terminal into the wire. This is where I'm confused... what exactly am I supposed to cut off? The second connector (left center in the picture, is that called a bullet connector?) runs down to the rear brake lever.

A little help from someone who's done this before would be appreciated!

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is too funny. I have the exact same question and i'm stuck at the same point. I have a 00 M750. I THINK i know what to cut and crimp but i want to be 100% sure before going thru with this. Can anyone answer?

JAmes V

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
older monsters did not have a connector on the neutral switch, so you had to use the wire tap instead of the bullet connectors. my '01 has the connector, so all i had to do was install! the basic idea is to connect to the wire, it really doesn't matter how you do it. if memory serves me well, for the switch with no connector, Ken supplies a Scotchlock connector with a female spade. if you need to use this, you clip the wire on the evoluzione harness just before the bullet connectors, strip wire, install male spade, put male into female, seal with silicone, done. like i said, if memory serves me well, which it often doesn't. if you are still confused, give Ken a call. i'm sure he will walk you thru it.

S

·
0 Posts
On my M750 there was no cutting involved. I believe in the directions, it says to skip that step if you have a certain...bike..model..something...Anyway, I was able to skip that cutting and stripping step and just plug it in. Damn those memory cells just wont stop dying. Give them a call.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I _think_ I'm supposed to do is cut the evoluzione harness and attach it to the wire coming from the neutral switch using the wire tap and the male spade connector.

I guess the harness comes like that from evoluzione so that it would be an easier job on the newer bikes that have the connectors already in place.

S

·
0 Posts
I just did this on my 2000 900ie. You are correct cut and strip the evoluzione harness. I asked myself the same question.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
On a related vein . . .

I want to disconnect the Kickstand Killswitch while still using my stock kickstand. Is this possible? I was hoping it would something as simple as clipping a wire or removing a connecter.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And Strati has instructions on how to do this on his site as well (ducatipipemod.com) but you'll have to pick up a bypass cable for that.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
CYBERWERE, no need for a new sidestand. you can just disconnect the connector at the sidestand and jump the connection. then your bike will not know if the sidestand is up or down. you can now ride away with the sidestand down, which is not good. you could also buy the evoluzione harness. this will allow your bike to run with the sidestand downas long as it is in neutral. you could make the harness yourself, but when you consider the cost and time involved in buying the wire, connectors and diode i don't think there is much of a savings.
http://www.evoluzione.net

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, that's what this thread was about to begin with! Much better off with the evoluzione harness since you don't have to worry about accidentally starting off with the kickstand down.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
When wired my own sidestand bypass the diode & the wire combined cost me maybe a dollar. Wow, now if that isn't worth it I don't know what is. The evoluzione piece is nice indeed. However, anyone with a little mechanical/electrical knowledge/understanding can do this mod in 5 minutes for chump change. This instructions can also be downloaded from the evoluzione site to give so added guidance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
HELP!!! everythbing just broke

I bought a 620 dark last week with the kickstand elim. It worked fine. I go to start it today and the elim is broken and my neutral indicator no longer works. WTF is going on. the bike starts fine with kickstand up but neutral light still doesnt work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts