Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...myself for being so crazy. I've been bitten by the buy-another-moto bug. Worse, the object of my affection is a HARLEY! Okay, not a "traditional" Harley. A V-Rod. Need something for touring -- the Monster's not going to cut it on 600-mile runs (did 450 on my son's last June, so I know from FHE).

Don't want a BMW -- too Teutonic for my taste. Don't want a garden-variety Harley -- too much "baggage" as Tim says. Don't want a Japanese cruiser -- just a Harley wannabe with too little baggage. Victorys are nice, but the engine's just a Harley wannabe design, albeit better executed (sorry Gene) -- besides, I can't get past the Polaris association, which makes me think of those big four-wheelers that people drive around so arrogantly at horse shows.

I could get a brand-new ST3 at Duc Pond for the less money than the used V-Rod I've been looking at, so it's not about the money. I've already got two Ducs. Imagine actually having your ideal woman life companion. Now imagine having two. How many of you would want a third? Having something different gives that spice of "on the side." Not the ideal, but different in a good way.

As for the V-Rod itself, it seems just awesome, especially for the inseam-challenged who wants to cruise on a very high-tech machine that's far from everyday. The OHC four-valve motor is about as sophisticated as they come, as is the chassis. Don't really like the stock wheels, so am starting to talk myself into a brand-new Night Rod model with steeper rake, better forks and ten-spoke wheels.

Going for a test ride next week. Someone please help....

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I am learning in life that we should do the stuff you really want to do. Our memories live forever. If you can afford it I say go for it and never look back. [thumbsup]

G

·
I say get the ST3.

But in regards to the V-Rod. Get some real #'s on maintenance costs. I don't know what they are, but I knew a Harley mechanic when they first came out and the factory at the time said it would take 8 hours to do an oil change do to the way in which WIllie G designed the cosmetics of the engine.

·
Registered
297 Posts
V-rods are pretty neat. Someone once said "its the harley for all the harley-haters out there". For me one of the best things about harleys is the aftermarket support. Unfortunately the v-rod has yet to be embraced really by the aftermarket. Sure you can get exhausts, air cleaners, PCIII, etc... but nothing like a big twin. Something about a liquid cooled harley just doesnt sit well with some people. Personally I like em, but its not a typical harley. Most harley places will do maintenance, but if my shop is any indication, the techs dont like to do it. Theyre just not used to em. Harleys average timeline for a motor is about 20 years. Most guys only know evos and twin cams. But just for the fact it says H-D on the side of the airbox cover you will have support for it.

Side note: I actually had a dream this week that I bought a wrecked fatboy and started trying to make a decent ride out of it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
V-rod? Just look at the latest JD Powers rating and buy a Victory, I know a dealer close to you. BTW the ST3 is a great bike but it will not fit you. With the right cruiser you can run from here to Daytona and not even think about it and there is something to be said for a nice realxed 70MPH ride on good backtop like say US17. - Gene

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Just traded my "04" v-rod for S4r. Nice motor & trans in rod , horrible Harley brakes and suspension, poor foot peg - handlebar positioning . Good choice with the Nite-Rod version it addresses the short comings somewhat. Enjoy the difference.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Look into reliability. If you are getting this for touring, you definitely dont want to have maintenance issues and be stranded somewhere. I dont know how true all the Harley jokes and rumors are now, but the Hardly Ableson nickname had to come from somewhere.

I know you said you dont want a Jap tourer, but you just cant kill those Honda engines. My husband had a '98 Honda VFR 800 (pre-Vtech) and he put over 80,000 miles on it mainly only doing scheduled maintenance himself. Pretty much anything you get will be lighter, have more clearance, and have more oomf than a Harley (except maybe a Suzuki Boulevard).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts