Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,
I tried to get the rear sets off my new s2r just to see how it would look but the hexagon screw would not budge no matter how hard i tried. I tried a search and looked the the owners manual to no avail. Is there something i don't know? Thanks

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Sure you're turing it the right way? ;)

Seriously, I did the same thing the other night and they were a little tight. I noticed what appeared to be locktite on the screw when I got em off.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
uclabiker66 said:
Yeah i was turning them counter-clockwise. What is this "locktite" you mention of ?
Locktite is a kind of glue you put on threads to get the bolt to stay put. Kinda like a liquid lock washer. There's two kinds: permanent (red) and non-permanent (blue). I have to believe whatever they use is a non-permanent type (it looked whitish), which just takes a little elbow grease to break loose. Obviously, you don't want to strip the head of the screw though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The fasteners on my rearsets were super tight too. I just checked the Service Manual and it shows the torque to only be at 24 Newton/meters. That's not too bad BUT...... they also have LOCK-TITE applied to each of the four fasteners. Here's what worked for me:

IMPORTANT!! USE A GOOD QUALITY ALLEN WRENCH.
1) Insert the allen wrench into the fastener head.
2) Gently (yet firmly) tap the allen wrench with a light hammer, as if you were trying to drive a nail into the fastener head. This should help break some of the bond for the LOCK-TITE.
3) Use a box end wrench as an extension for the allen wrench and rotate counterclockwise until the fastener "pops" free. The "pop" was unnerving, but just the harmless sound of the LOCK-TITE breaking loose.

Another simple way would be to purchase a socket driven allen wrench. I just bought set of 10 socket allens and it has made working on the Duc much simpler.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well once i get them off will i have to worry about vibration causing them to loosen up. Maybe that is why Ducati put the locktite on in the first place.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Another tip is to ride your bike around a while and get the motor up to temp. The heat should soften up the loctite a little and make it a little easier to break the bond. Just don't burn yourself!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts