Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a RoadRacing Tach Kit. Anybody ever install one of these? Can an ametur mechanic install one? Anybody know how they work?

"Made by RoadRacing in Italy, this attractive dash features everything you need to add a tachometer to your 1999 and older Ducati Monster. All you have to do is provide the speedometer. This dash is black anodized aluminum with all warning lights and a tachometer that matches your speedometer. Fit

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

D

·
0 Posts
Be warned if you have a 2000 or later model:

1999 and previous year Ducatis came with "dual fire" ignition systems (they fire once per revolution, twice as often as they have to) whereas 2000+ models are single fire (firing only once on the power stroke)

What this means is that if you buy a pre 2000 kit and put it on a 2000+ bike your tach will only read 1/2 as many RPMs as it's supposed to.

I found this out the hard way when I put a DP 'octopus' gauge cluster on my bike and then spend the next 3 months tracking down a single fire tach from the original manufacturer of the gauge pod just so I didn't have a "4500 RPM redline" ::)

D

·
0 Posts
I love it!

Although if I had to do it all over again, I'd have gone with the "big tach, small speedo" model and bought an electronics kit to convert dual fire pulses to single fire pulses (they make tach adaptor kits)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts