Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So too much of this:

Is melting my boots onto my front s-pipe and now it looks like this:

Since there are no mounting points for a heat shield, can anyone suggest what I should use to wrap this portion of pipe to avoid further damage to my boots?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Hate to see you cover up those nice, shiney pipes but I'm wrapping mine tomorrow with 2'' exhaust wrap..in black of course! [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
314 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
okemos said:
Have you thought of getting the Quad-D exhaust? It looks cool, and you won't burn your boots anymore. I'm not sure they are made for your particular bike, however. Careful of wraps. I heard they retain moisture and rust your pipes. Here's a link to see a Quad-D exhaust: http://www.motowheels.com/italian/m...ts&productID=4540&showDetail=1&categoryID=671

Dude the QuaT-D looks like the big, ole utter that he got rid of when he bought those new pipes!!

My buddy has had the Quat for a couple years and I still can't get over the BULKY looks!!

Maybe someone can fab a CF part to slip over that..if carbonworks hasn't already!!

Or..just wrap that part up as suggested!

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
You can't get used to your buddy's Quad-D exhaust? Well, get over it already! It's an awesome look. The Quad-D cleans up the lines around the rear wheel, and I think -- okay, this is subjective -- it would look better than what he's got. I don't have the Q-D so I'm not being biased here. And I don't sell them, so that's not the case. I think if those are aftermarket pipes that this poster has got, then he got the wrong ones. They shouldn't touch his boots -- period. If you don't like the Q-D, then here's another solution for him: He can take off his pipes and have some sort of fastening system welded onto them, like nuts in the right place that allow him to attach a carbon fiber boot guard. Then before putting the pipes back on, he can have them ceramic coated. I wouldn't wrap them in asbestos or whatever. In a year's time he may have holes in his pipes because of rust. It would have been simpler if he had just gotten pipes that don't do what his pipes are doing. What brand are they so we can be aware?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
You're right Okie! Looking at that rear shot..they do stick out on either side..considerably!!

No..I don't like the Q-D cuz they've been out for awhile and I've seen a ton of em. Yes, it does clean up the back end and the seat looks like it floats over the rear tire. That's a nice look! But..straight pipes, i.e.: Nakid's old S2R aren't as bulky. Just a BIT TOO LOUD!! ;)

I wasn't even thinking about the ceramic coating. Several DML'ers have done that too! That would help.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I have not had a Ducati very long and I don't personally know anyone else who's got one. This forum is fantastic for learning things. You old-schoolers can teach me a thing or two. I bring to this forum a blank slate, and I am reading a bunch of new things. I have certain impressions from people's bikes and gear, and I can appreciate the fact that some people know a lot more than I'll ever know. So if you don't like the Q-D or Q-T or whatever, I can appreciate that there is a history behind the straight pipes and you don't want to offend your own sensibilities by switching to some new-fangled exhaust system. I was just trying to solve the problem of the melting boots without damaging the bike. Just personally I think the Q-D exhaust projects a sense of raw energy that I find appealing. On the other hand, I have a set of Arrows that sweep up past my rear wheel, and I'm not changing them. They have carbon boot guards on them. The bike came that way used, and I'm very lucky I don't have any problems with them.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Exhaust wrap works fine. I had it on my bike with Zard pipes for several months without any major problems. The only thing I noticed was that that after that time, the area where my boot rubbed began to fray. I'm sure after several more months of riding, the fraying would have gotten worse, but replacing the wrap would only take several minutes. My final soultion was to weld mounts onto the pipes and bolt on a heat shield I made from aluminum. You could even use the heatshields off of your stock pipes.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Ooooh, oooooh I just thought of something! ;D

I'm having the exact problem on my S2R. I concluded I wanted to put something on my boot heel (Sidi Vertigo Corsa) to protect it from melting while not scratching the pipes. For the longest time I couldn't think of what to put on my boot. This thread has given me the solution:

I will cut a small piece of exhaust wrap to attach to the heel of my boot.

Thanks everyone! [thumbsup]

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Yes, another option is attach a guard to the boot. I glued a few pieces of black leather to the inside heel, same color as the boot so you can barely notice it. It has worked pretty good. The leather scorches but won't melt onto the pipe. Depending on your situation it may leave a small mark but nothing that couldn't be cleaned off with a bit of steel wool, and nothing like the absolute mess you get with melted rubber.

But I hadn't thought of the exhaust wrap on the boot - nice idea. If you do it post some pictures please.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
What about instead of heat wrap on his boots, he could have his boots ceramic coated? [laugh]

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
you can also get heat shields to put where your boots are rubbing. I got a set for $30 from tricktape a year and half ago. I just checked their site and don't see them there, but I do remember seeing them somewhere else, I'll dig around. They use hose clamps to attach, another very simple solution.

edit: found some from dragspecialties for 20 bucks. Only prob is one of your s-pipes arehave a bend where your boot is rubbing, but you can probably play with it. I've seen carbon ones for your style pipes.

http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/1722/252/2394804

Attachments

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Excellent suggestion. That would work pretty well seems.

I'll start digging around. Thanks.

Industrial_Grrrl said:
you can also get heat shields to put where your boots are rubbing. I got a set for $30 from tricktape a year and half ago. I just checked their site and don't see them there, but I do remember seeing them somewhere else, I'll dig around. They use hose clamps to attach, another very simple solution.

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
heres a carbon on you can probably rig and attach with hose clamps as well.

Ducati 749/999 carbon fiber heat shield 2003-2006

and thinking about it, if you attach a heat shield to the front s-pipe coming up, it will force your foot out enough that it probably won't touch the second, so you would only need the first one. I dunno.....

I just think it would be a shame to have to wrap those pretty pipes of yours. ;)

-michelle

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
If you are rubbing the pipes a lot, the friction will unravel the wrap.

I fit 748-998 Corsa heel guards on my monster. I had to redrill some holes in the CF but it worked with the Cycle Cat rearsets.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
^ what exhaust is that? Its making me drool.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts