Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just put the CycleCat DTC-8 on my '03 M1000ie, and the forks are well below the top of the triple clamp. They were level with the top of the stock clamp.

The top of the fork cap is 9mm down and there is 26mm of clamping surface. Can the forks be left in the position, or do I need to drop the front end?

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found this diagram in the owners manual. It shows the forks above the clamp, and I found a reference elsewhere on DML saying that the bikes come from the factory with the forks 10mm out of the clamps.

I'll drop them down flush and see what happens. I wonder if this has anything to do with some of my handling issues? And I've got an Ohlins rear shock coming on Monday too :embarassed:

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
geoff,i would lower your front end definately until at least some of your folk is showing.the way you have left it is not safe enough for me.im assuming you are running handlebars....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pigmy said:
geoff,i would lower your front end definately until at least some of your folk is showing.the way you have left it is not safe enough for me.im assuming you are running handlebars....
I've got the CycleCat clipons under the clamp. I haven't ridden the bike in it's current state. I'll drop the front 10mm and see what happens.

Thanks for the response

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
pigmy said:
geoff,your bike will turn in quicker.
+1

Take extra care on the first testride, but I really don't think you'll have a problem. I suspect you'll find yours had been raised at the front at some stage if your forks were level with the stock top clamp (or perhaps put together that way at the factory on a Friday afternoon...)

big

·
Registered
474 Posts
Geoff, I found an old Ducati catalogue last night after i spoke to you...... the photos show the smaller engine monsters (620, 800) with about 10-15mm of fork above the top clamp.
The 1000Sie, S4R, etc show the top of the stock clamp to be level with the top of the forks.

so it seems, they did leave the factory that way.
either way, looks like your're gonna have to drop the front of your bike a little bit. hope it doesnt affect handling too much.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pepsduc said:
Geoff, I found an old Ducati catalogue last night after i spoke to you...... the photos show the smaller engine monsters (620, 800) with about 10-15mm of fork above the top clamp.
The 1000Sie, S4R, etc show the top of the stock clamp to be level with the top of the forks.

so it seems, they did leave the factory that way.
either way, looks like your're gonna have to drop the front of your bike a little bit. hope it doesnt affect handling too much.
Yes, I saw a couple of different drawings, one with the fork caps level with the clamp. I've dropped the front about 12mm. I don't know how much difference that will make. I haven't test-ridden it yet.

Anyone care to predict what it'l feel like? :-\

·
Registered
474 Posts
GeoffB said:
Anyone care to predict what it'l feel like? :-\
like Big says... just take it very easy on your first test ride.
i wouldnt have any clue as to how much of a difference a change like that could make.

at worst, its probably just gonna be 'different'

now, you gonna help me with mine or what? [laugh] [cheeky]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
pepsduc said:
like Big says... just take it very easy on your first test ride.
i wouldnt have any clue as to how much of a difference a change like that could make.
It'll be quite a lot - most people reccommend making front ride height changes in increments less that 5mm...

BUT...

Since Geoff mentions in the second post that he's having "handling issues", it's _possible_ you'll be making a change that is already starting out too far one way, and you're moving towards or slightly past "ideal"...

Make sure you don't hit your favourite twisties at 100% right off - it's going to tip into corners quicker, and it'll probably feel quite different when you get on the gas coming out of corners too. Until you're familiar with how it turns, give yourself lots of extra room on both corner entries and exits. It'll also behave differently when you swerve, so take extra care in traffic where you might get forced into swerving unexpectedly...

big

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
mine is above not under as first of all it wouldn't fit and second i wanted to be as upright as possible
also my front has been lowered and back raised and now i can throw the bike into the corners with an ease limited only by my lack of experience....not courage ;)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
melvin said:
my front has been lowered and back raised and now i can throw the bike into the corners with an ease limited only by my lack of experience....not courage ;)
How much did you raise/lower each end, and how much difference did you notice before and after?

Did you fit your steering damper at the same time?

curious-big

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
don't know; ron has done it for me. but it really feels like a different bike. it's so sharp in the corners and it turns-in with such an ease. it also stays on the ground during spiritual acceleration
as to suspension, after listening to my feedbacks ron has adjusted it so the bike feels like glued to the road. don't know how many clicks either
no, i don't have a steering damper. was toying with this idea but after riding on a track decided against it; the bike doesn't have enough power to cause me trouble and under street conditions; well, taking it easy is a better option for all concern

·
Registered
474 Posts
sounds like dropping the front end a bit could improve handling and responsiveness Geoff.
may even contribute to rectifying those suspension issues you've been having.
have you taken it for its first ride yet?
how does it feel now?

i just had a thought.... could it be that the larger capacity bikes had the clamp higher on the forks to compensate for being heavier and therefore compressing the front suspension more??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.