Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm installing my R&G frame sliders last night. Bike is on center stand, have a hydraulic floor jack (with wood buffer) supporting the motor. I take the bolt off the motor mounting bolt and start tapping it through. I insert the slider bolt through the frame and start working it through as the stock bolt exits. All is going smooth. Just as the frame bolt is about to exit the bike on the port side, it binds a bit. I can move it around prettty easy, but can't get it out (without hammering it, which I don't want to do). Seems almost like the motor is slipping forward just a bit relative to the frame to bind the bolt. I was afraid to hammer it all the way out, in case the motor slipped more and I couldn't get the slider bolt all the way across, and I didn't want to strip the threads on the end of the bolt either.

Anyone have this problem? Am I being a pu$$? Should I just give it some elbow grease and get it out? Anyone? Bueller?

I'm really not excited about having to go to my dealer to get something as simple as this done.

I thought about strapping the motor up to the frame using tie downs. Anyone do this?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just wiggled the piece of wood under the engine while I had my son gently tap on the frame slider bolt with a soft mallet and it went in. All it needed was a slight adjustment to center it.

Total installation, even with the same issue as the slight miss alignment, was 30 minutes or so.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Woohooo! BFH time! >:D [thumbsup] It's Monsterhooligan's patented "How-To-'Repair'-Your-Bike-And-Still-Keep-Your-Local-Wrench-In-Business" technique for solving a problem.

ok, so really you just need to use a rubber mallet, but I love the acronym BFH

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But Spidey says it's time for the BFH! I've got a sledge that I think'll just do the trick. Thinking I better strap the bike to the rear stand though so it doesn't fall off when I give it a full swing.. >:D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got it to work tonight. I just whacked the bolt hard with a sledgehammer. The bike fell over and then I was able to straddle the bolt, with one foot on the side of the tank and the other on my silencers (good thing I put my crampons on or I might have lost my footing); gave it about ten good whacks with a ball peen hammer and it finally went through. Stood the bike up and cleaned up the gas that spilled using my wife's wedding dress (she shouldn't have stored that in the garage). Both ends of the slider bolt were a little tweaked though, so I drilled the threads out of the end pieces, stuffed a mixture of superglue and locktite in each hole and just pounded them onto each end of the bolt. Bolted on the bobbins and I was done. Finished by covering the bobbins with vaseline so if I go down my bike will slide better.

Seriously, no problem getting it all on right tonight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We rugularly fit R&G's to monsters in our workshop and found the best method is as follows:

Leave bike on sidestand [no need for all the extra effort of center stands/ jacks], undo enginge mount bolt, take R&G pin and use it to tap the engine mount bolt out. This reduces the engine sag to minimal as the pin is replacing the bolt as you tap it out. Tighten polish and your're done.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's pretty much what I did, though the bike was already on a rear stand, so I left it there. I used the R&G bolt to gently push the engine bolt out. Little bit of extra effort required at the very end, but managed to do it without stripping the threads on the bolt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Funnily enough, just finished doing one half an hour ago while we were busy with customers service. Might as well kill two birds with one stone.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Archimedes said:
Finally got it to work tonight. I just whacked the bolt hard with a sledgehammer. The bike fell over and then I was able to straddle the bolt, with one foot on the side of the tank and the other on my silencers (good thing I put my crampons on or I might have lost my footing); gave it about ten good whacks with a ball peen hammer and it finally went through. Stood the bike up and cleaned up the gas that spilled using my wife's wedding dress (she shouldn't have stored that in the garage). Both ends of the slider bolt were a little tweaked though, so I drilled the threads out of the end pieces, stuffed a mixture of superglue and locktite in each hole and just pounded them onto each end of the bolt. Bolted on the bobbins and I was done. Finished by covering the bobbins with vaseline so if I go down my bike will slide better.
Ataboy. [thumbsup] [laugh]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts