Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I’m writing this post because I am looking for help!
After months of researches (you guys and this site are great! Thanks!) I am finally getting really close to buy my first Monster!
I found a ’99 M750 Dark, less than 6,000 miles (no service yet but belts were changed once) with dual high carbon fiber exhaust pipes, straight handlebar, new battery, Jet carburetors. The bike looks really nice, spotless, tail is chopped already and for $3,900 the guy also throw in the deal 2 helmets (not sure about brand). Only two defects are RPM not working and light are blinking when driving.
The other is a ’02 620i.e. The bike is bone stock but was dropped(Typical ding on tank).
Also looks like it was kept outside all the time, few oxidized spots, and paint chipping on pedals. I can get it for $3,600.
What do you guys advise me???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I though the 750 was a good deal!
When you say you are not proponent of the carbed 750's you mean you wouldn’t buy it at all or it is worth to negotiate the price?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had an 01 750 for some time. Could never seem to keep it in tune. The carb was always in need of adjustments and the emulsion tubes went bad a couple times. With the fuel injection of the newer bikes you get a more a responsive throttle and IMO fewer headaches. Since becoming an S2R owner, I wouldn't consider going back to a carbed bike. The less time my bike is in the more time I'm enjoying it.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Carbureted is not an issue in my mind. Both carbs and FI have advantages/disadvantages. I agree that you should keep shopping. The deal on the '99 is not that good. 620's can be found in much better condition for close to the same $. Don't get in a hurry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again!
I understand that's not a good idea to get the 620 that wasn't take care of, plus the ding on tank(expensive to fix).
One more question, what would be a good price for the '99 750? I forgot to mention it has a steering damper, pretty good shaped tire, carbon fiber fairing, cover, and stand for swinharm.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It all depends on the market in your area. Don't go for the 620. Motorcycles aren't made to withstand the elements like cars are. The 750 asking prices is fair to start, but I'm sure you can get him/her down a few hundred. The helmets have no value and should not be considered in the deal unless they are nearly new high-end helmets with no dings at all.

I have a 99 M900s (last year of the carbies) and have had no problems with it at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts