Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Monster 620 (still has paper tags on it!) and I just changed the oil for the first time. Now the Oil pressure indicator light is on and I have gone over everything and can't figure out why this is happening or how to fix it. I called the shop and the mechanic & I went all over everything I had done and he can't give me a reason or solution, so just bring it in and he'll look at it. The bike is still under warranty but I don't want to drive it to the shop with the light on. Has anyone ever heard of this? Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening and how I can fix it before I have to load it into the back of my truck and haul it to the shop?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sounds like you have an air lock in the oil filter..Take the filter back off ,dump the oil out and only fill it half way up with oil before installing it...That should do it..

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I tried that already. The engine seems to be pumping oil fine. No harsh noises in the case, and the levels are fine and I can see the oil being sucked up in the window on the side of the case. I looked a little further into it and also found some people having trouble with water in the oil pressure sensor. I remember now that the last time I rode before changing the oil I got caught in a downpour. I popped off the oil pressure sensor wire and it was full of water! I'm letting it dry out today, then I'm going to hit it with some di-electric grease. Hopefully it will solve the problem. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Be careful what type of grease you use. You said dielectric, from Webster's
"a nonconductor of direct electric current"

We use dielectric grease at my work when we want better insulation properties. We also use conductive grease when we want a better connection. I would try it with no grease first.

mitt

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the rightRe: HELP!! Oil Pressure Warning Light

Cool, thanks! I'll make sure I get right thing. I was also thinking of just wrapping the connection in heat shrink tubing or something like that to add a little extra water proofing.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well last summer I had EXACTLY that on my ST4s. The oil was there and the lamp was off during the ride, but for about 300 km there was a real nasty rain pouring down. When I was about to ride home 2 days later in sunshine...the lamp went on. I had the bike towed to a Ducati dealer and stayed in a hotel (warranty covered that). The problem was not unusual for a new ST4s - the oil pressure sensor was not tight and got damaged by water, they changed it in 1 hr and thats it.

This season..the lamp will not com on at all (even at startp). I guess they will have to change the sensor again...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that was it! The pressure sensor had gotten so wet, it just needed to dry out. It's working fine now. I did hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge just for some peace of mind. It was reading pressure at around 90psi I think? Does anyone know what range the 620 runs as far as oil pressure? I didn't find it in my manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts