Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a terrible time trying to get my timing belts done. The back plastic covers could not be removed because the brass inserts were free spinning. I finally had to break/melt one out and epoxy it back in. I hit the plastic with my Dremel tool to clean it up before I ran the epoxy and I accidentally nicked my timing belt roller. It isn't bad, but I want to know if it is safe to still use, or should I replace the whole gear?

Hood Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle part Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
190 Posts
Sounds like a frustrating day at the office!
If it were me, I'd just be sure to file/polish down the tooth that you nicked so that there isn't a sharp edge that might accelerate belt wear - or lead to failure.
But other than that, it looks like there is more than enough 'tooth' there for the belt to run on. I'd feel comfortable running it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like a frustrating day at the office!
If it were me, I'd just be sure to file/polish down the tooth that you nicked so that there isn't a sharp edge that might accelerate belt wear - or lead to failure.
But other than that, it looks like there is more than enough 'tooth' there for the belt to run on. I'd feel comfortable running it.
I tend to agree. If you file, debur, and maybe even use a fine steel wool to polish it smooth, I just can’t see how that missing bit of the tooth will affect the belt.

However, if it was my bike, I’d just change the pulley. I’d drive myself nuts worrying about it, and the cost of the pulley is so small compared to the belt snapping and the engine piling up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I tend to agree. If you file, debur, and maybe even use a fine steel wool to polish it smooth, I just can’t see how that missing bit of the tooth will affect the belt.

However, if it was my bike, I’d just change the pulley. I’d drive myself nuts worrying about it, and the cost of the pulley is so small compared to the belt snapping and the engine piling up.
Yes yes and Yes, Yes it will be ok, yes remove any bur and make smooth, and yes it would drive me nuts till i replaced it,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts