Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know what kind of new bike you all would recommend for me.
Here is my problem: I just sold my 750 monster because it felt too big for me (I am 5'7, 130). Not too much power but somehow it just fit me wrong, even though I had it all sized up at the shop. I am a cyclist and I love the way my road bike handles and how 'quick' it is. I am looking for a motorcycle that would have that same feel but has some power behind it too.
What do you think?
Thanks! ;D

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
what part of you did it fit wrong? that might help. I find the monster pretty long in the tank, but coming from a road cycling background it's just like riding something with a long toptube. You might consider one of the sport classics, as the clip-ons will be lower and more like being down on the road bars. Ride a triumph Thruxton 900, too. it's long and low.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did find the monster to be long in the tank too. I felt like I was riding on top of a race horse most of the time rather than being more 'around in' and more in control. But I am not short and I did have it lowered a bit. I like your idea about the sport classics. Any other ideas for other brands?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
MV Brutale's are smaller framed. My best friend who is 5.7 145 is looking into one because the Monster was too laid out for him. I on the other hand at 5.10 170 felt cramped on the Brutale. You might like it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
5'4" and 120 here and also a road cyclist...changed to some clips on to bring me in and down and some rearsets to move my legs back a bit...and it fits me like a glove...what changes, if any did you do to the bike to fit it to you?

julie

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Honda Hawk GT 650 might be an option but it's got a small-ish gas tank so capacity/range are a bit down. But it's a smaller bike all around. Might be an option... [thumbsup]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the monster lowered and some different bars put on. I just looked up the MV Brutale but it didnt really strike me too much. The Triumph looked sort of cool, but didnt quite do it either.
I like the Paul Smart Ducati or the GT 1000 but the prices on those are too limiting. What do you think of the 1968 BMW R60/2?
Haley

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not that I am thinking of acutally getting the BMW though...
The Sport Classics are more where its at.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Try a Triumph Thruxton - I'm the same size/weight as you and the Thruxton was just super... I felt completely "connected" with that bike. Might be worth a test ride? They're nicely priced as well: $7,500.00 or there abouts ;D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I rode a sport classic this weekend at the big show in Dallas. It was a blast. Faster than my S2R 800, but I think I still like my monster better. However, the style of the sport classic (the one I rode was red and had a front fairing) is truly beautiful. Also, I think as a smaller person, you would fit much better on the sport classic than I. Start saving your $...

·
Registered
799 Posts
Duck-Stew said:
Honda Hawk GT 650 might be an option but it's got a small-ish gas tank so capacity/range are a bit down. But it's a smaller bike all around. Might be an option... [thumbsup]
Yep, my dad has one of these and they are really cool bikes. Not a whole lot in the way of power, but it is an amazingly light and nimble bike.

But they can be hard to find.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If a shorter reach to the bars is what you are after, I think one of the Buells would be worth checking out. I sat on an XB9 at Cycle World show and the distance between the seat and the bars for me was comically short - I am about 6'1". It is not sport classic stylee, but it is probably the dimensions you are after.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Check out a 2006 or 2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 with the low pipes. Or the 750. If you can live with the I4 engine they are pretty amazing bikes.

OR

Get a 749.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i think i'd go look at these options and if they feel comfortable you have two options: obviously the first, buy one or the second take a tape with you and get some measurements to see how far off the monster is from what you liked. if you love your monster i gotta believe there is a way to make it fit-unless you are very short torsoed and have short arms. my s4 fit me horribly in the beginning, but like i said now i am so happy with the fit, and i'm 3 inches shorter than you...clip ons rather than a bar switch might be the call. though pricey it is less than buying a awhole new bike.

julie

edit: OOOOppppssss...sorry just re-read that you already sold it. guess you are wide open for choices now. good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd agree with Il d00d about the Buell. I'm only 5'10" and the XB9 felt very compact to me too. I sat on it at a show this summer and tried out as many bikes as I could. I'm wondering if the previous owner of my bike had lowered the seat or the ride height as I can place both feet flat on the ground at lights, but can't on any other bike I've ridden.

Do you still want the same style of bike, or would you consider going for a cruiser-type? The seats are a lot lower but the ride is completely different. You will find a sports 600 lots more compact with a lower centre of gravity, making it easier to hold up too. Again it might not suit what you want the bike for. Wrapping yourself around the large tank on the Monster is what turned alot of us on to them in the first place. Go to lots of shops and ask them nicely to allow you to sit on every bike and maybe wheel them about a bit too.

How about buying a stretching rack and putting on loads of weight over the winter? You'll be back. Oh yes

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
To really make a good recomendation, we need to see pictures of you..in bikini so that we can see your body; strictly to visually fit you to a bike of course ;)

Just kidding...I think the sv 650 is the bike you were made for..or, the bike that was made for you..

Steve
05 st3
00 sv6fity

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Hey now!! Easy there..Your on a monster 750..my little ole sv would smoke your monster. Ever ridden an sv? Very competent machine..

Steve
05 st3
00 sv6fity

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
haley said:
I did find the monster to be long in the tank too. I felt like I was riding on top of a race horse most of the time rather than being more 'around in' and more in control. But I am not short and I did have it lowered a bit. I like your idea about the sport classics. Any other ideas for other brands?
haley - You are the exact same size as my wife, but she loves my 900. She did have a 800 SuperSport at one time; just for kicks you might try one on for size.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts