Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was riding over to my girlfriend's place yesterday when my '99 M600 made a clunky whirring sound then cut out and died. It now won't start or show any signs of life apart from electrics turning on.

So I have 2 questions I was hoping people could help me with:

- is a clunky whirr before the engine cutting out and dying suggestive of anything in particular?

- what's the best way to get a bike up on to a regular trailer, and secure it for transport?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a feeling this is going to be a painfully expensive experience.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Belt failure IMO... When was your last service? If you had it serviced (with a Ducati dealer) within one year of failure I think Ducati will cover it but don't quote me on this it's just something i've heard in the past.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last service was 6500km ago (about 4000 miles), and that was a major service, so I'm pretty sure the belts were replaced.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is just a belt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is just a belt.
Belt failure = bent valves. Not trying to discourage you but this is the same sound I heard when my belts failed. I can how ever hook you up with someone who may have used heads for you. I hope i'm wrong though

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Belt failure = bent valves. Not trying to discourage you but this is the same sound I heard when my belts failed. I can how ever hook you up with someone who may have used heads for you. I hope i'm wrong though
Damn, I thought belt failure = replace the belt :( Well I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway.

If you could look into the used heads for me that'd be much appreciated.

·
Registered
168 Posts
if he did break a belt, shouldn't the starter still try to turn the engine (at the very least a clicking when pressing on the starter button?).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well the best thing I can tell you is see if the motor will turn over manually by putting it in gear and turn the rear wheel (use a high gear) and don't force it too much. Next remove the belt covers & inspect the belts no danger in looking at belts so you should be fine. You'll know right away if it was your belts or one belt when the belt shreds it looks like a rat's nest in there. If belts look ok then check fuses? also check your starter but that still doesn't account for the engine cutting out... process of elimination. Whirling sound may be a main bearing all guesses not being able to see the bike.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I dropped the bike off with my mechanic yesterday afternoon, turns out it was just an electrical issue - something messing with the charge getting to the battery.

When I dropped the bike off, we tried to start her up and the motor actually turned over and started running, and sounded fine when it did. So thankfully it's nothing major at all, just a couple of hundred to fix.

The ridiculous thing is, it's still going to cost me $900, because the rear brake pad needs to be replaced, and the chain and sprockets need to be replaced too, add in an oil change and new oil drain plug (my plug's stripped, hence having to have the mechanic do it). And it all adds up to a rather expensive proposition.

That said, most of those things are just wear and tear issues, rather than actual faults, so I'm just thankful it's not going to break the bank - just empty it more than I'd like :(

Thanks for all of the advice fellas, it's much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
No worries, Ducati folks are rich!!
It's a good thing you didn't have to start replacing bent valves, etc..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts