Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
I bought my first bike. A monster 620 from 2002. Ran fine when i collected it from the seller but it had been standing for a while. Ones home we fired up the bike to find out it would’t rev past 2k rpm... opening up the throttle for more then 10-20% was impossible. We changed out the fuel filter and cleaned the tank. Quiet some paint flakes from the inside of the tank came out but nothing huge. This helped us out but did not resolve the issue completely... in neutral you can rev out the bike but under load it just doesn’t run right! One moment i cant open up the throttle past 20-30% and then suddenly it comes through and i can open it up al the way and it runs perfect! I cant get my head around it... 90% of the time it runs bad... just occasionally it wil run good for a few seconds before going back to The same issue... anyone experience this before?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I believe that model has the fast idle (not a choke but it is kind of a choke) have you tried to only turn on the fast ldle (fully engaged) when initially started then back it off once the bike is steadily idling at around 2000 rpm (typically 5 minutes warm-up) then turn off the fast idle. See if that helps at all. The only other guess I have as a novice is replacing the spark plugs (relatively easy job).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, i took it for a spin and got it up to operating temp. Sparkplugs are new.
thanks for the reply tho

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think AJZ was saying, "did you put in new spark plugs?", when cleaning tank etc. Or, are you assuming they are ok because they 'look' new?

How long was the bike standing or not running? Does sound like it's misfiring on one cylinder maybe.
Check all connections to coils, plug leads etc. and if you didn't do the plugs, change them.
Spark plugs can corrode in certain weather conditions if left sitting for a long time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We swapped them out for new ones. I already tested the coils and they give correct values aswell 😕

1 - 5 of 5 Posts