Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I looked for a month or so before I found the S4.
It turned up 5 minutes from home.

I got Michelin power RS for the S4 when I first got it.
Punctured the rear and went pirelli for the replacement.
It reminded me why I wound up only using pirellison the balius when I had it.
There's something in the shape that let's you lean effortlessly.
I know the Pirellis are popular with the Ducati crew, but I’ve never felt like they stuck to the road as well as Michelin’s. Maybe it’s my riding style, which is not super aggressive. But we shall see. Every bike is balanced differently and the power delivery can make a difference with tire wear too.

On another note, I have a few things to figure out. Owner only has one key, so I will definitely want to get a second one made.
PO also mentioned that the rear brake doesn’t work very well. Searching the forum I see there is a recall, so I may have to look into that. I’ve never had an ABS bike before, but I’m not super concerned about it as half of the bikes I have owned have had rear brake problems at one point or another.
Last issue is not really an issue, per se, but something I want to figure out. That is how to reset the oil service light. Searching on the forum it seems like JPdiag and GuzziDiag can do a lot of things, but not reset the oil light? Very grateful for all of the information and the help everyone has provided me to guide through the process using your ACTUAL experiences!

·
Registered
27 Posts
On my Evo it uses the Seimens ecu and I have found there is no easy way to reset the service light yet. I have learned to live with it, although my local duc guru says just stop by and he will reset it. Apparently, if you service early you have to wait until the service indicator shows up before you reset it.
As for tires, it is strange how 2 different people have such differing opinions on tires. I couldn't wait to get the Pirellis off. The Monster has the new Michelin GPs on and am right back in my happy place. Yes, I am a Michelin fanboy and have been one since the first Pilot Power.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
On my Evo it uses the Seimens ecu and I have found there is no easy way to reset the service light yet. I have learned to live with it, although my local duc guru says just stop by and he will reset it...
As for tires, it is strange how 2 different people have such differing opinions on tires. I couldn't wait to get the Pirellis off. The Monster has the new Michelin GPs on and am right back in my happy place. Yes, I am a Michelin fanboy and have been one since the first Pilot Power.
I imagine I will learn to live with the light if I must. I was a little spoiled with TuneECU on my Triumph.
Good to hear another vote for the Michelins. My Streetfighter had Pirellis on it when I bought it and they just seemed like they really needed to be warmed up before they would stick to the road. I lived off a very curvy road when I owned that bike so I had about 30secs before I hit the first curve.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes I found the same thing... in the heat of summer they stuck like glue. I was just pondering QLDs4 being in Aus and if he was in a warm part of town. All I know is last fall I KNEW the Pirellis were coming off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Yes I found the same thing... in the heat of summer they stuck like glue. I was just pondering QLDs4 being in Aus and if he was in a warm part of town. All I know is last fall I KNEW the Pirellis were coming off.
Ahhh! That could be it too. I know road composition can vary in different countries and even different states. I had a British friend who always talked about how the roads in England just let the tires grip so much better. And in my own experience the roads in Tennessee became very slick when it got hot or wet compared to roads in Michigan or northern states where they need to consider things like freezing, salt, etc.

·
Registered
2012 Monster 1100 EVO -- 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750 -- 2011 Monster 796 (wife's)
23 Posts
My experience with Pirellis vs Michelins as well. The original Pirellis were tricky when cold while the Michelins are much more consistent with summer behavior. My wife was following me in our jeep on a wet 50 degree evening once. I made a quick left onto a busy street as gently as I could, but the back went when I accelerated after the turn. The Mrs later asked if I meant to fishtail as I did.

·
Registered
Monster 796 ABS
75 Posts
+1 on the 1100 choice.

I went through a similar decision process about a year ago with the distinction that I had been off motorcycles for about a decade.
I ended up on a 796, figuring an 1100 was jumping in the deep end.

If I had a do-over, I'd get the 2010-2014 era 1100 for sure.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Looks good, I think you will like it if not love it.
Mine is a 2014, and I think the exhaust note is fine. Not too quiet, or loud.

I'm on my second set of Pirelli Angel GT2s, and happy with them.

·
Registered
460 Posts
NEVER seen snow? Wow. You should check it out at least once. :)

I grew up with it, and don't miss it.

15C is 59F to my brain, and I like to joke that freezing is 50 here in Lala land, so 10C.
One reason I like it here.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I see threads on winterizing and wonder what the big deal is.
It's not that hard to push the leather jacket along the rack and put the mesh jacket behind it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Congrats, Chris! Enjoy your commute, and make sure to get lost on your way home at least once a week ;)

101 - 116 of 116 Posts