Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Too bad! I was looking forward to hearing about a comparison between the two.
Something may still turn up. I still have the option to check out the one with the cold starting issue, but it’s close to two hours away. That’s a ways to go for a bike that you probably won’t end up buying. At least if I ride the 1200 tomorrow and an 1100 comes up, I will have an idea of what the 1200 is like and can jump on the 1100 if it feels right.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Over the years (god i sound old, i am not) its been my experience that the right bike is worth travelling for. When i bought my M1100, there were so many for sale that i had to develope a points system based on price, condition, milage, modifications, colour and location. Turned into a real labour of love but served me well.
In the end i had to travel 5 hours to the south of Germany to view the bike, took two friends, both who ride, in the car with me and made a road trip out of it. We overnighted down south, met some... hospitable German girls and took turns to ride the bike back the next day. Whilst nursing a awfull hangover. Not the best way to enjoy a new bike on the autobahn.
Long story short, if you have to travel to view a bike, i can be worth it even if you dont buy it. If you do, you may have some good storys to add to the bikes... provanence!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Over the years (god i sound old, i am not) its been my experience that the right bike is worth travelling for. When i bought my M1100, there were so many for sale that i had to develope a points system based on price, condition, milage, modifications, colour and location. Turned into a real labour of love but served me well.
In the end i had to travel 5 hours to the south of Germany to view the bike, took two friends, both who ride, in the car with me and made a road trip out of it. We overnighted down south, met some... hospitable German girls and took turns to ride the bike back the next day. Whilst nursing a awfull hangover. Not the best way to enjoy a new bike on the autobahn.
Long story short, if you have to travel to view a bike, i can be worth it even if you dont buy it. If you do, you may have some good storys to add to the bikes... provanence!
I definitely get where you’re coming from Chris. Btw, my name is Chris too, ha! As a matter of fact, I have purchased exactly one motorcycle locally and literally every other time it was at least 5hrs away. So I have no problem traveling for the right bike. I just don’t want to go all that way just to test ride a bike I don’t intend to buy. That being said, I found another EVO today at a dealership about 1hr and 15mins away. I was thinking about calling them to see about a test ride when I realized that if I would drive 1hr and 15mins to ride a bike I have no intention of buying, it would probably make more sense to drive 1hr and 45mins to test ride and evaluate the silver 1100 with the “Cold start issue.” Worst case, I drive over there, ride it and determine that the starting issue is more than I feel like dealing with. But I’ve still gotten to ride an 1100 and if I find one farther away, I can jump on it. Best case scenario, I decide the issue is minor and ride away with a new bike.
Great story on getting your 1100 btw! Definitely sounds like a good adventure and probably more enjoyable than when I bought my Triumph Daytona 675. Two tickets to start the day, 700mi of riding and getting home in 42 degree (Fahrenheit) weather at 1:40 in the morning. But it does make for a great story, lol!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I say go ride any of the newer gen monsters and then go ride the old one. The biggest difference you should notice is feeling in the bike(old) vs feeling on top(new). I had a plastic tank on my 695 and never had an issue with expansion. The new gens also have plastic tanks with plastic tank covers.

Secondly I don’t understand your dilemma. The 1200 and 821 have equally complex motors as the s4r and s4rs. There is no added complexity doing a valve service over the 2 valve. You are simply checking more valves. I do not consider that complex and it’s fairly easy to do once you’ve done it once. If you’re not beating the bike off it’s rev limiter you will not have to worry about out of spec shims.

There is only so much people can advise you with if you haven’t done a test ride. Also worth noting, fuel mileage will suffer if you change the exhaust which will require a tune and your mileage will suffer more. Monsters are not touring bikes, but you can still take them on trips. Get in the habit of stopping for fuel more often. My 695 ran out of fuel at 120 mi. Fuel light would go on at 100miles. My s4r fuel light goes off between 80-95 miles. If you’re looking for a bike that does 150-200 miles on a tank, look elsewhere.

My Tuono was a great bike on paper but there were a lot of things I hated about it. Ultimately I sold it and kept my M695. I loved the M695 ergos so much I bought an s4r. I’ve sat on many of the new gen monsters and the ergos simply kill the prospect of buying one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
I say go ride any of the newer gen monsters and then go ride the old one. The biggest difference you should notice is feeling in the bike(old) vs feeling on top(new). I had a plastic tank on my 695 and never had an issue with expansion. The new gens also have plastic tanks with plastic tank covers.

Secondly I don’t understand your dilemma. The 1200 and 821 have equally complex motors as the s4r and s4rs. There is no added complexity doing a valve service over the 2 valve. You are simply checking more valves. I do not consider that complex and it’s fairly easy to do once you’ve done it once. If you’re not beating the bike off it’s rev limiter you will not have to worry about out of spec shims.

There is only so much people can advise you with if you haven’t done a test ride. Also worth noting, fuel mileage will suffer if you change the exhaust which will require a tune and your mileage will suffer more. Monsters are not touring bikes, but you can still take them on trips. Get in the habit of stopping for fuel more often. My 695 ran out of fuel at 120 mi. Fuel light would go on at 100miles. My s4r fuel light goes off between 80-95 miles. If you’re looking for a bike that does 150-200 miles on a tank, look elsewhere.

I’m trying to line up some test rides as we speak and really not making much of any progress. All the used dealers don’t allow test rides at all (even with cash in hand) and the new dealers want you to commit to buying before letting you ride one. I’m waiting to hear back on the silver 1100, which is from a private seller, but there are no privately owned 1200’s without half a day’s drive. At this point I think I just have to pick which bike I want more based on what I’ve determined to this point.
For the complexity of the valve job, I have to disagree with you there. The radiator and associated bs means more stuff to get out the OG the way for access and more valves is more work. It’s not double the work but it is more. Having said that, compared to my Triumph, even the 4v liquid motors should be easy.

The exhaust and tune is worth noting, so thanks for that piece of advice. From what I’ve read on here and elsewhere, it sounds like I should be able to get the 120mi I need from a Monster with a 4-4.6 gal tank. I’m not sure why your 695had such limited range. I would go 135-145mi between fill ups on my m750.

Okay, I’m off to make some more phone calls.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Have you checked any of the motorcycle rental places like ride-share or twistedthrottle? I would pay someone the $150-200 to rent their bike for a day if I was looking to buy.

My m695 did 140 to 150 miles before I put a tune on it. Better fueling costs mileage but I also don’t care to sit on a motorcycle for 140 miles either.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Have you checked any of the motorcycle rental places like ride-share or twistedthrottle? I would pay someone the $150-200 to rent their bike for a day if I was looking to buy.

I did try twisted throttle as well as a few others. All I could find was the smaller Monsters, none of which models I’m interested in.

·
Registered
238 Posts
On the economy issue my S4 has the DP ecu, standard airbox and the old termis and will do about 260 kms on the highway before the fuel light comes on and only needs 14.5 litres to fill so there's almost 3 litres still in it.
Our speed limit is 100 kph though.
I usually let it warm up for 5 minutes while I have a cigarette.
I think that open airboxes and riding style are probably the two biggest issues for fuel acconomy.
Maybe the quality of the guy performing the service (not me) plays a part too.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Fuel economy?

Mine is a '14 base model 1200.
I'm not riding hard or very fast but faster than most every Harley.
Which is not saying much.

Short story long last I checked it gets in the low 40's MPG.
Running on the higher octane stuff 91?, and ethanol free is not readily found here.
From what I read, if you use pure gas MPG is better.

Anyway I'd say 40's is pretty damm good. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Thought I would give a little update. After a lot of searching and a new search trick for OfferUp, I’ve narrowed things down A LOT. I’ve decided that unless I hate it for some unknown reason when I go to ride it, I will be buying a 1200s. I’ve ruled out the 1100 strictly for practical purposes. They are in very limited supply and most of them have a fair amount of miles. The ones that don’t cost almost as much, or as much as a 1200. I just can’t see paying that much for a bike with less power and features all while being older and possibly harder to find parts for. No offense to anyone with the 1100. I’m sure it’s a great bike, but I think the 1200 just has too much to offer to be ignored. So once I figured out I wanted a 1200, I had to narrow down a few things. What model, what color and what mods would I consider valuable or not. I know red is the official color of Ducati, but I like to be different. I found a few white 1200s models for a decent price, and also found a “Thrilling black” 1200r. I would love to get the 1200r, but they seem to be in VERY short supply. One was already gone and the other I found also appears to be gone or possibly the owner changed their mind. But I really like a black Monster. They look great! So I found a black 1200s with low miles (6k) a few hours away and I am currently working on figuring out logistics to go see it. It was originally red and the tank has been painted the “Dark” black, so I will be going over it with a fine toothed comb to make sure it hasn’t been dropped (one owner and owner says it’s never been down and it has a clear title). It also has the Termignoni exhaust, which I decided is the way to go for me. It has a nice throaty sound without being too obnoxious. Below is a picture:

3887C7FE-0B1D-4FD0-A05E-B5E10040BACB.jpeg

·
Registered
2012 Monster 1100 EVO -- 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750 -- 2011 Monster 796 (wife's)
23 Posts
I am delighted with my 1100 EVO and not in a hurry to upgrade, but the 1200r caught my eye. They are rare, but I have seen a good few of them for sale near me (NY). If that is of interest, don't give up too quick!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thought I would give a little update. After a lot of searching and a new search trick for OfferUp, I’ve narrowed things down A LOT. I’ve decided that unless I hate it for some unknown reason when I go to ride it, I will be buying a 1200s. I’ve ruled out the 1100 strictly for practical purposes. They are in very limited supply and most of them have a fair amount of miles. The ones that don’t cost almost as much, or as much as a 1200. I just can’t see paying that much for a bike with less power and features all while being older and possibly harder to find parts for. No offense to anyone with the 1100. I’m sure it’s a great bike, but I think the 1200 just has too much to offer to be ignored. So once I figured out I wanted a 1200, I had to narrow down a few things. What model, what color and what mods would I consider valuable or not. I know red is the official color of Ducati, but I like to be different. I found a few white 1200s models for a decent price, and also found a “Thrilling black” 1200r. I would love to get the 1200r, but they seem to be in VERY short supply. One was already gone and the other I found also appears to be gone or possibly the owner changed their mind. But I really like a black Monster. They look great! So I found a black 1200s with low miles (6k) a few hours away and I am currently working on figuring out logistics to go see it. It was originally red and the tank has been painted the “Dark” black, so I will be going over it with a fine toothed comb to make sure it hasn’t been dropped (one owner and owner says it’s never been down and it has a clear title). It also has the Termignoni exhaust, which I decided is the way to go for me. It has a nice throaty sound without being too obnoxious. Below is a picture:

View attachment 226708 View attachment 226708
Looks good in black. Your logic makes sense - of course the price of admission is higher. The 1200 should be smoother motor as well. I have to say that my experience with the 4 Ducati’s I have had is that the Termignoni pipes and ECU mods make a huge difference in drive ability. I had a 2013 1100evo limited edition without the pipes and sold it because i liked how smooth my SF848 with Rexxer tune and Remus exhaust was. I later rode a 2012 1100evo with the pipes and bought it. It was smoother and you could ride it as low as 2500 rpm without problem. The 1200 motor is terrific - powerful, smooth and full of character

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Thanks guys! Btw, I forget to mention my search truck. If you change your search zip code in OfferUp to farther away areas (metro areas seem to work best) you can extend your search. Same trip works for Facebook Marketplace but Marketplace searches farther than OfferUp will.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Next week dude will tell us he’s buying a Monster 800 s2r because tin foil hats.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Everyone has to make choices and it doesn't hurt to be informed of the options that are available before committing.
I’m being facetious. I think at the end of the day he just needs to test ride the bikes that peak his interest and pick the one that suits his riding style best. Eliminating the 1100 or 796 because parts availability will be limited or because it has less gizmos is just absurd.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Eliminating the 1100 or 796 because parts availability will be limited or because it has less gizmos is just absurd.
My biggest incentive to maintain the S4 is knowing that if I kill the engine I need a complete S4/ST4 to source a donor.
Slim pickings in OZ.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
@GinTonic Not sure how either of your posts add any value to the forum. Parts availability was the last of several items I mentioned as a “Possible” issue. I don’t think it’s an absurd reason either. The 1100’s I would be looking at were only made for two years, although some parts from the EVO might fit. For example, if I look on eBay right now and search for an 1100 engine and a 1200 engine, seven engines come up for the 1200 and only one 1100 engine comes up (for $4000). And I am actively trying to find a bike worth test riding, so not sure why that came up again.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts