Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you everyone for all of your input. Having to consider all of your thoughts and experiences was a great sounding board to determine which Monster will be the right one for me. Ultimately the test rides will be the determining factor but I’ve greatly narrowed it down at this point. There are several 821’s in my area that I should be able to test ride, so the more challenging part will be finding an 1100. At the moment my searches have found a few 1100s models both with about 24k miles and a regular 1100 with 3800mi. In my mind 3800mi for a 12yo bike means it has been sitting for a long time, which is not great. 24k is a bit higher than I would prefer as I plan to rack up the miles myself and want to own the bike for a long period of time (I have my Triumph for about 10yrs). So the search will continue.
The only other thing I have in mind is to hear what these bikes actually sound like with aftermarket exhaust. I love the sound of a Duc (who doesn’t?!), but there are a lot of small children in my neighborhood (including my own) and I don’t want to wake everyone up when I leave for work around/just after their bedtimes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I guess you are just going to have to hear them one at a time, case by case.
Enjoy. :)
That sounds like an excellent idea 😀
On a related note, it looks like Termi includes “DB Killers” that can be installed in the pipes to make the exhaust neighbor friendly. If I go for an afternoon romp that don’t look too bad to remove.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am a bit late to the Party but will add my 2 cents. I bought a M1100S late last year as an upgrade from an M900Sie (After years of riding an Aprilia Mille-R the M900 was lacking a bit of power TBH). I didn't really get to ride the M1100 last year as I bought it too late in the season. Over winter I serviced the bike and had it remapped with a power commander (necessary because I fitted an MWR Power-UP kit air filter). the Bike makes 99 Hp and 109nm of torque (90nm @ 3500rpm) and is an absolute BEAST! It's all I can do to hang on! It has so much grunt low down and punches out of corners that my riding style has completely changed. No need to rev it out, just short shift and ride the gobs of torque. The bike is light too, I have the forged wheels from the HM, and its turns and stops like nothing else and makes my Mille feel like something that will block SUEZ!
The only criticism I have is that the wind protection is too low for the speeds that it achieves so quickly and the tank shape is not ideal for gripping with your knees - which is a must just to stay on the thing. I don't have the EVO, so no ABS or DTC but TBH I don't feel I need it and I ride 99% of the time in the dry so ...

In short, I can't imagine you will be disappointed with the M1100. It is an amazing road bike.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
So just to input my thoughts on your original post. I also started on an M750. 2001 which I purchased brand new for $6,004 and was my first street bike. Loved it. Rode it for a long while, then upgraded to an 04' S4R. Loved that as well. Then the wife gave the green-light on a 2011 1198 which was insane (and I will own another in the next couple of years for track use only because as you indicated, the power is crazy). I have also had a Diavel (looks cool and easy to go fast in a straight line but hard parts drag too easy) and several cruisers. I am currently riding a monster 1200r. What I learned from the previous bikes and years of riding is this, the monster is my favorite for aesthetics and riding style, if I can only have one bike it will be a monster, I dont mind having more power than I need because I control the power delivery and I would rather have it when needed then need it and its not there. As others have stated you have to decide which factors are most important to you. I faced a similar decision between the 1100 and the 1200, dry clutch vs wet, etc.... The 1200 checked almost all the boxes, and while I do love a dry clutch, for commuting, at least in my experience, the wet clutch is superior. As far as exhaust, I always have a loud exhaust but I also dont over-rev when coming home and try to keep the noise down as much as possible during the typical sleeping hours. For me, the exhaust note is a part of the riding experience.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I am a bit late to the Party but will add my 2 cents. I bought a M1100S late last year as an upgrade from an M900Sie (After years of riding an Aprilia Mille-R the M900 was lacking a bit of power TBH). I didn't really get to ride the M1100 last year as I bought it too late in the season. Over winter I serviced the bike and had it remapped with a power commander (necessary because I fitted an MWR Power-UP kit air filter). the Bike makes 99 Hp and 109nm of torque (90nm @ 3500rpm) and is an absolute BEAST! It's all I can do to hang on! It has so much grunt low down and punches out of corners that my riding style has completely changed. No need to rev it out, just short shift and ride the gobs of torque. The bike is light too, I have the forged wheels from the HM, and its turns and stops like nothing else and makes my Mille feel like something that will block SUEZ!
The only criticism I have is that the wind protection is too low for the speeds that it achieves so quickly and the tank shape is not ideal for gripping with your knees - which is a must just to stay on the thing. I don't have the EVO, so no ABS or DTC but TBH I don't feel I need it and I ride 99% of the time in the dry so ...

In short, I can't imagine you will be disappointed with the M1100. It is an amazing road bike.
I mean..this is exactly what I wanted to hear. I don’t feel like I need the electronic aids with a bike with this power and that’s kind of the point. With the 1200, I think I would like it, just in case. When you say you have the wheels from the HM, do you mean you have Hypermotard wheels? Your setup sounds like what I would be looking for too. From my reading, the exhaust, ecu/tune and air filter combo really smooths out the low end fueling on these bikes. I would probably change the front sprocket too. Ducati seems to gear all their bikes about one tooth off from what is optimal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So just to input my thoughts on your original post. I also started on an M750. 2001 which I purchased brand new for $6,004 and was my first street bike. Loved it. Rode it for a long while, then upgraded to an 04' S4R. Loved that as well. Then the wife gave the green-light on a 2011 1198 which was insane (and I will own another in the next couple of years for track use only because as you indicated, the power is crazy). I have also had a Diavel (looks cool and easy to go fast in a straight line but hard parts drag too easy) and several cruisers. I am currently riding a monster 1200r. What I learned from the previous bikes and years of riding is this, the monster is my favorite for aesthetics and riding style, if I can only have one bike it will be a monster, I dont mind having more power than I need because I control the power delivery and I would rather have it when needed then need it and its not there. As others have stated you have to decide which factors are most important to you. I faced a similar decision between the 1100 and the 1200, dry clutch vs wet, etc.... The 1200 checked almost all the boxes, and while I do love a dry clutch, for commuting, at least in my experience, the wet clutch is superior. As far as exhaust, I always have a loud exhaust but I also dont over-rev when coming home and try to keep the noise down as much as possible during the typical sleeping hours. For me, the exhaust note is a part of the riding experience.
Cool to hear some more input from another 1200 owner. I feel like at some point in the future, there may be one in my stable. How does it feel to ride compared to your earlier monsters? IIRC, the 750 was 392lbs dry, the S4R is something like 425 and the 1200 is 456. Ducati’s are so well balanced I’m not sure you would even notice the difference, but what are your thoughts on the handling/flickability of the Monsters you have had? I know the 1200 also has the longest wheelbase. Also, how is the braking between the older models vs the 1200?
You’re not the first to mention that I need to figure out what is most important to me in a bike and after having gone through the mental prioritization process, this would be it, in order of importance:

-Sufficient fuel range to make it 120mi between fill ups
-significant low end torque
-reliability/ease of maintenance
-dry clutch

I think the 1100 checks all those boxes. The 1200 checks most of them and even an 821 would probably check most of them. I still find it crazy that there is so little difference in price, the used market between the 821 and 1200. Really the 1200/821 just lacks the dry clutch and ease of maintenance, but you could argue that the extended valve service intervals help partially offset that.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Cool to hear some more input from another 1200 owner. I feel like at some point in the future, there may be one in my stable. How does it feel to ride compared to your earlier monsters? IIRC, the 750 was 392lbs dry, the S4R is something like 425 and the 1200 is 456. Ducati’s are so well balanced I’m not sure you would even notice the difference, but what are your thoughts on the handling/flickability of the Monsters you have had? I know the 1200 also has the longest wheelbase. Also, how is the braking between the older models vs the 1200?
You’re not the first to mention that I need to figure out what is most important to me in a bike and after having gone through the mental prioritization process, this would be it, in order of importance:

-Sufficient fuel range to make it 120mi between fill ups
-significant low end torque
-reliability/ease of maintenance
-dry clutch

I think the 1100 checks all those boxes. The 1200 checks most of them and even an 821 would probably check most of them. I still find it crazy that there is so little difference in price, the used market between the 821 and 1200. Really the 1200/821 just lacks the dry clutch and ease of maintenance, but you could argue that the extended valve service intervals help partially offset that.
So firstly, make sure you double check your specs. Dry weight on the 1200r is actually 396 lbs, wet weight is 456. Dry weight on the 1200 standard is 412 lbs. It feels just as light and flickable as the m750 (best I can remember from 15 years ago anyway). It is just as nimble in my opinion, but far more powerful obviously. (wheel HP on the 750 was dynoed at 63 after open exhaust and air filter and jetted carbs). The S4R definitely felt heavier than the m750 and the 1200r. I rode 130 miles today in the mountains before the fuel light came on (but TBH due to traffic I certainly wasnt riding even close to all out). I will reiterate, i love the sound of the dry clutch, but try to ride both and imagine commuting. The first wet clutch I had was the diavel and it is so much better when in traffic.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I mean..this is exactly what I wanted to hear. I don’t feel like I need the electronic aids with a bike with this power and that’s kind of the point. With the 1200, I think I would like it, just in case. When you say you have the wheels from the HM, do you mean you have Hypermotard wheels? Your setup sounds like what I would be looking for too. From my reading, the exhaust, ecu/tune and air filter combo really smooths out the low end fueling on these bikes. I would probably change the front sprocket too. Ducati seems to gear all their bikes about one tooth off from what is optimal.
My M1100S has the full Termignoni System which deletes the Exhaust valve and is routed under the belly of the bike (good for doing the valve clearances) but probably doesn't add much more power. The End-Cans are carbon, with DB-Eaters and a CAT (so EU compliant, important for the rather strict rules here in Germany). Sound with them in is great and neighbour friendly, with them out it's a street Howitzer and seriously offensive (to my ears). The air filter is the MWR-Powerup Kit, which removes part of the Airbox top. O2 Sensors are switched off. Power Commander 5. The Wheels are the Forged Wheels from the Hyper and the 848 StreetFighter. They are VERY light and make a big difference over the stock rims. Beyond that, a smattering of Carbon and the bike is stock. Ahem. Apart from the Air Filter, I bought it as it stands.

I paid (a lot) more than I wanted to, but added up the cost of the Termi System (2700 euro), the Wheels (1600 s.h.) and all of the carbon bits (800 Euro) and I paid less than 25% of what the P.O. did for them. And I'd have probably done the same mods over time anyway.

ahh i forgot, i have the Stock gearing. Given that the front wheel goes skywards in a heartbeat in first and second, and light in third I am not sure gearing it down is a must. I think once the bike is set up properly and gives good drive from lown down the reduced gearing could become a hinderance.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So firstly, make sure you double check your specs. Dry weight on the 1200r is actually 396 lbs, wet weight is 456. Dry weight on the 1200 standard is 412 lbs. It feels just as light and flickable as the m750 (best I can remember from 15 years ago anyway). It is just as nimble in my opinion, but far more powerful obviously. (wheel HP on the 750 was dynoed at 63 after open exhaust and air filter and jetted carbs). The S4R definitely felt heavier than the m750 and the 1200r. I rode 130 miles today in the mountains before the fuel light came on (but TBH due to traffic I certainly wasnt riding even close to all out). I will reiterate, i love the sound of the dry clutch, but try to ride both and imagine commuting. The first wet clutch I had was the diavel and it is so much better when in traffic.
You are right about the specs. At 396, the 1200R is only four pounds heavier than the 750 and even if it’s the standard 1200, it’s probably a negligible difference. Cool to hear your experience with the Diavel too. I’ve always found myself wondering about it, but never enough to buy one. As for the dry clutch and traffic, I never had a problem with my 750 and don’t anticipate one now, especially since I have less stop and go than the commute I had with the 750. I have no doubt that the 1200 is a capable bike, but I think the 1100S or the 821 is probably more the amount of power I am looking for. Some tests rides should help me figure that out. Another 1100S popped up a few hours from me, but it has higher miles than the others, so I probably won’t look into it at this point.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
My M1100S has the full Termignoni System which deletes the Exhaust valve and is routed under the belly of the bike (good for doing the valve clearances) but probably doesn't add much more power. The End-Cans are carbon, with DB-Eaters and a CAT (so EU compliant, important for the rather strict rules here in Germany). Sound with them in is great and neighbour friendly, with them out it's a street Howitzer and seriously offensive (to my ears). The air filter is the MWR-Powerup Kit, which removes part of the Airbox top. O2 Sensors are switched off. Power Commander 5. The Wheels are the Forged Wheels from the Hyper and the 848 StreetFighter. They are VERY light and make a big difference over the stock rims. Beyond that, a smattering of Carbon and the bike is stock. Ahem. Apart from the Air Filter, I bought it as it stands.

I paid (a lot) more than I wanted to, but added up the cost of the Termi System (2700 euro), the Wheels (1600 s.h.) and all of the carbon bits (800 Euro) and I paid less than 25% of what the P.O. did for them. And I'd have probably done the same mods over time anyway.

ahh i forgot, i have the Stock gearing. Given that the front wheel goes skywards in a heartbeat in first and second, and light in third I am not sure gearing it down is a must. I think once the bike is set up properly and gives good drive from lown down the reduced gearing could become a hinderance.
That’s a great looking bike! The wheels do set it off and I like how the black looks with the red frame. Your exhaust, air filter and tube sounds like what I am looking for too. After seeing the wheels on your bike I’m wondering if I should bother getting the S or just get an 1100 and put some HM wheels on it. It won’t have the Öhlins suspension but there’s not a lot of corner carving to be done in Florida anyway. Right now there are several VERY low mile M1100’s available and several M1100s models with 24-28k miles on them.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
S4rs for sale, not mine just saw it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
S4rs for sale, not mine just saw it
Thanks man! One just showed up on the forum yesterday and it really got me thinking of an S4RS would be the right machine for me. I really thought about it, but it has a slightly smaller gas tank, weighs about 20lbs more than an 1100 and has twice as many valves with the same 7500mi adjustment interval as the 1100. As iconic as the S4RS is, the 1100 seems like it has morecheck marks in it’s favor.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It’s a naked bike. 20lbs is barely recognizable and makes no real world difference unless you were to ride the bikes back to back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It’s a naked bike. 20lbs is barely recognizable and makes no real world difference unless you were to ride the bikes back to back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get that. All of the things I mentioned are negligible differences, other than the extra complexity of the valve service, but there’s nothing to offset the differences and push me in that direction over the 1100.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone, I’m a prior Monster owner, M750 Dark, and looking to get back to a monster, but there are so many options out there, all of which have more power than my old M750 had. A little background about the bikes I’ve had since then and my likes/dislikes.

-2006 Triumph Daytona 675- Loved it enough that I put 50k miles on it, but suspension on a full blown sport bike is a bit rough.
-2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098- Insane power, both a pro and a con. Very light and nimble, incredible power, but really the only bike I’ve ever had that had “Too much” power.
-2002 Yamaha Warrior- Torquey and nimble for a cruiser, but ultimately still a cruiser.
-2002 Suzuki Vstrom- Probably a great commuting machine and very comfortable, but after owning the aforementioned bikes it’s just very lackluster in the suspension and braking department. Nice low end torque engine that’s rock solid.

Considering all that, I’m considering the 1100 EVO, or regular 1100, and also the 821 or possibly 1200. Wouldn’t rule out something like a S2R1000 either. I really think the 821 would have enough power for me, but there’s little to no difference in price between the two from a quick search. I remember reading that the 1200 is the more “Grown up adult” version and the 821 is more nimble with a shorter wheelbase. Both of my prior Ducati’s had dry clutches. I love the sound of a Ducati twin and the dry clutch is awesome. I’ve also heard that the newer generation of Monsters have more of a top heavy powerband compared to the old air cooled Monsters. I’ve also heard that the newer monsters handle better and feel more planted. So in my mind, it’s old dirty low end torque with a dry clutch vs newer faster and more nimble but less of the stump pulling torque. Also more complexity for maintenance purposes. Not sure when Ducati switched to the longer valve service intervals, but that’s a factor as well as fuel tank size, which seems to be lacking in most modern motorcycles. My commute is 60 miles, round trip and I’d
To finish up, most of my riding these days will be back and forth to work. I have an infant and a toddler now and I just don’t see myself ditching them very often to go ride. I know it seems ghastly to put such a beautiful machine to such duties, but it’s the reality of the situation and it doesn’t mean I can’t have fun on my commute!
Very curious to hear everyone’s thoughts, especially if you’ve had multiple Monsters. I looked for a thread on this but there was nothing recent (2014 was the most recent Monster comparison thread I found), so hopefully this will help others looking at the same prospects.
I'm 5'7 30 in inseam 140-150lbs 36 years old and grin like a child on my 2015 821 stripe plenty of speed and power 50mpg on average and toured 1500miles this last month from Florida to North Carolina and back preformed well in wet and cold conditions of NC if any of that helps

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm 5'7 30 in inseam 140-150lbs 36 years old and grin like a child on my 2015 821 stripe plenty of speed and power 50mpg on average and toured 1500miles this last month from Florida to North Carolina and back preformed well in wet and cold conditions of NC if any of that helps
I was wondering if anyone would chime in about the 821! 50mpg sounds great compared to the 1100, but I’m not sure I would get quite that. I’m 38, a bit taller at 5’ 10” and about 185lbs, but a monster still fits me well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was wondering if anyone would chime in about the 821! 50mpg sounds great compared to the 1100, but I’m not sure I would get quite that. I’m 38, a bit taller at 5’ 10” and about 185lbs, but a monster still fits me well.
I did lower the seat with the factory lowering ability to get flat footed and I had a bag with 5days cloths and tools for if something should happen straped to my back roughly weighing in at 45lbs putting total weight for the trip in the 180+ category it seemed like "The Dutchess" didn't even realize the weight difference from my every day riding gear.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I did lower the seat with the factory lowering ability to get flat footed and I had a bag with 5days cloths and tools for if something should happen straped to my back roughly weighing in at 45lbs putting total weight for the trip in the 180+ category it seemed like "The Dutchess" didn't even realize the weight difference from my every day riding gear.
Not too bad. Longest trip I took on my Daytona 675 was 3000mi and I think I used a combination of a backpack and some small soft bags. Later I went on a 7500mi trip in my Yamaha Warrior with just bags. On those long trips not having a backpack makes a difference at the end of the day. Good to hear of people taking Monsters on trips though!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts