Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all as the topic suggests i need some help deciding on which bike I should get. First off a little Background I completed my MSF course last year. Have never owned a motorcycle before. I' m 5 10" aprox 194 lbs. 31 yrs old Im looking at purchasing a new monster possibly within the next month or so. After my recent visit to a Ducati delearship in Toronto, one of the sales persons suggested i might want to look at an 800 because the 620 might be a little small for my frame. I sat on both and both seemed pretty similar to each other however the 800 did feel as if the tank was a bit larger? might have been only my impression. So im not sure if the sales person was just trying to make a bigger sale in suggesting the 800 or if he was just being helpful in trying to suit me to that bike. Based on this years specs for the 620 and the 800 just wanted some opinions as what members here would choose having more expercience than me in this case..... The sales person also suggested i might want to look at the 2003 yr models as there was more leverage on my part to swing a better deal on a 2003 yr model. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great Thanks in Advance JP

H

·
0 Posts
An 03 800 would be a damn fine choice.

Maybe you want to look at an older 750 as a first bike. Great bikes, less money. Find one that already has "the dent" so you don't feel bad when you drop it. (you will drop it) New is nice, but for a first bike, I wouldn't recommend it.

Use the savings to buy some goodies.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
This questionis quite common.

As you noted, there's not much difference in size or weight between the two bikes.

The salesman may have been suggesting that with your WEIGHT, the 620 might not keep you happy very long. That suggestion was made explicitly to me when I was shopping.

I ended up with a '99 900, quite similar in performance to the new 800. I know nothing about you; your general athletecism, discipline, self control or experience controlling any other sort of vehicle at the limit. Your age however suggests you're most likely past the "stupid phase" of every young man's life.

Many people start successfully on the larger bike and it is also true that many people weighing what you do would want more power than the 620 provides after logging 10,000 miles or so.

Also, the 620 is the bargain bike, using some less expensive components. The wet clutch and 5 speed tranny in particular are things you'd have to live with. There's no reasonable upgrade path.

While the salesman may be angling for the larger commission, there are good reasons to at least consider the 800.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
What Herb said.

The 750's are very cheap, easy to find with low mileage and sure are fun to drop. ;D After a few years, maybe you'll be ready to be as cool as Herb on a 1000. Don't buy new, but have a Monster anyway. Sounds good?

S

·
0 Posts
The salesperson was just trying to make a bigger sale, all the air-cooled monsters have the same frame, seat and fuel tank. If you plan is to keep what you buy for some years, I would recommend the M800, you will not outgrow this bike, with 73hp and a top speed of 200 kph, you can keep this bike for years and years. I do not recommend as others do in this Forum to buy a small bike and then after some time buy a bigger one. 73 hp can be dealt with buy most people. No reason to delay the fun. Like many of us here the Monster will grow on you and you will probably want to keep it forever. Take it easy though and remember that it is in the second year that most accidents happened.
Safe ride and lots of fun

Slim

C

·
0 Posts
Well, I have NO self control. So for me it was wise to start with the 620 - I would have killed myself on a bigger bike. The 620 has been a great bike: loads of fun and it turns heads as easily as a bigger model.

After about 6 months and 7500 miles I'm ready for more . . ..

jb

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the info. Just to answer some questions Yeah im pretty much over the stupid stage of life. I think haaa
Humm maybe the verdict is still out on that one .. Haaa
Yes I do plan to keep the bike for some time and really am not the type to push things to the limit. But i do like to have the power there if need be. Ive had powerful cars and seldom ever pushed them to the limits but i do enjoy the knowledge that i do have the power available if i need it...ie passing etc Price wise i havent haggled yet but MSRP for 2004 620 10,495 CAD and the 800 was 12.995 He said there was some room to haggle how much i still need to find out.. (Prices in Canadian $) I guess i need to get a break down from him on what he can do for me 2003 vs 2004 prices. Again thanks all for the input. Ill let you all know the second ive made the purchase Thanks again JP

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Go with the 800 then you have the power and you will love the bike. I have a 900 and ouldnt trade it for the world

D

·
0 Posts
I concur with duc-gasm, get the 800. I own a 620 and soon became hungry for more!

N

·
0 Posts
I'm 6' 2" and 205 and have a 620,

also 31, and first bike.

I took the MSF course last year, then logged about 3400 miles.

I find that the 620 has good power for me, however I think that at the end of this upcoming bike season, I might be wanting a bit more. The 620 is still more capable than I am, but when I want more power, just twist further, but at some point, the 620 will only give so much (how much, I haven't found out yet, nor do I suspect that I will all that soon)

If you think that you have the discipline to not twist too hard on the throttle, then go with the 800.

On the other hand, the price was too good to pass up for me, I got a leftover 02 in Mar of 03, out the door and delivered for 5500, the 800's were a good chunk higher.

So, being a true motorcycle newbie and cost factors, I went with the 620, and love it.

So, what does all that ramble mean, if you can afford it and think that you can control your urges right away, go with the 800. I plan to keep my 620 for many years to come, and just hope that I can afford a new bike in a couple of years, then my concern will be which duc to ride.

best of luck.

A

·
0 Posts
I have the 620 and it suits me well. I wouldn't mind having the extra HP though! You've also got about 20 lbs on me. I would go with the 800 if I could do it again. I took into consideration monthly payment and insurance price. The 620 was the best all around for me last summer. Neither one of them is a Jap bike so you don't have the outrageous HP to get you into trouble as a newbie rider. The 620 handles GREAT and I'm sure the 800 is the same!!

S

·
0 Posts
I was in the same situation less than a month ago and ended up going with the 800 ;D. I decided the safety trade-off between the two was minimal. As a new rider, I figure that I can get in just as much trouble on a 620 as I can on an 800. In the end, I believe the 800 will be a bike that I will enjoy riding for a lot of years. I'm not sure this would be the case had a opted for the 620...

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I'm sweating the same dilemma.

Though my circumstances are just a bit different. I'm 50 and rode full time for 5 years about 20 years ago. My first bike was a Suzuki GS-400 and then I rode a Honda CB-750F for 3 years. Both the salesman (and my wife) think I should get an 800 since my last bike was a 750, they think I will soon become bored with the 620. I haven't test ridden either yet, as I want to either take the MSF course again (it has been 20 years!) or at least ride something smaller for a couple of hours to get my feet wet again. There's something about the 620 that just feels "right" to me. I also like the idea of the 2004 having the slipper clutch and 6-spd. I'm sure it will come down to price in the end.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
The 620 has less reciprocating weight in the engine and does not "push" the bike in the corner as much as an 800. The 620 is no slouch, has considerable pickup and can cruise at 80 all day. It is a blast to ride. The advantage to an 800 is the 6 speed which is a little smoother at speed. You will notice the torque incease at midrange on the 800. The 03's have the special financing until Feb 29 and is an incredible deal. 0% for 2 years, .9%/3yrs, 1.9%/4yrs and 3.9/5yrs with 10% down no payments for 90 days. The 620 has a six speed in 04 as well, but not on the dark. The 620 has an excellent resale, too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the 800 looks better. Can't tell the difference? What is that metal piece that looks like a radiator?

Just for the looks, I would go with the 800. And do you really want to buy the bottom of the line Ducati? That's like buying a Porsche 924 instead of a 928 or 911.

And when you run out of Horses, are you going to upgrade or sink a ton of cash on engine enhancement or exhaust systems? I say go for the 800 and be done with it!!!

Later,
Frank

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
There seems to be a sentiment that you will definately feel like you should have bought the 800 instead of the 620 if you buy the latter. I don't think this is necessarily true. I had a smallish (550) bike for five years before I bought an M800, and it was a good bike to have for those five years. It out-accelerated any car I've ever owned, and a 620 would be even quicker. Of course, if you really get into it and want to push it, then you'll want more power pretty soon. Even then, a really good rider on a 620 will leave a mid-level rider on an 800 in the dust, unless you are riding in a straight line. But its all about cornering, isn't it? A 620 is fine bike for a beginner who wants some zip but doesn't push it all the way. This is not to say that an 800 is a poor choice -- it's an excellent choice. It's just that the 620 is probably not any worse of a choice, given the money you'll save. And since a first bike usually gets dropped a bunch of times, you might prefer a less pricey bike for a while. I love my 800, but if it were my first bike, I'd get a 620 or a used 750.

I think the size is pretty much the same, although the darks have lower seats. The 2004 620 also has the new slipper clutch, which should make a real difference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just don't understand how everyone keeps saying they are going to drop their bike.

And if you are going to drop your first bike, what makes you think you won't drop your second, third, fourth, etc.?

Get sliders if you are worried and keep up with your insurance. If you drop your bike, you are going to be pissed no matter if it is an 800 or a 620. Fixing it will be the same cost---- whatever your deductible is.

Frank

1 - 20 of 29 Posts