Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 62 year-old, retired dad currently has a V-Rod with hard bags, touring windscreen, and touring seat. (He likes to ride long distances. [thumbsup]) He's trading it in before spring, and is currently eying up the new BMW R1200R.

I'm not a big fan of BMW styling, mostly the cylinder heads sticking out the side of the bike.

He doesn't want a full-fairing bike or another harley. So, can a Monster fulfill touring duty while being as sporty as the new beemer?

Edit: here's a link to the BMW; http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-r1200r/

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Re: Help me convince my dad to get a monster over a R1200R

hmm... you can tour on a monster. people have done it.

slap on some bags, and a softer seat, and hit them highways... *shrugs*

·
Registered
126 Posts

Sam,

You won't like me for this, but have him ride a 1200GS. Very good touring bike & decent in the twisties. Again, very comfortable. Only problem is if he is under 5'10".

BTW, I am currently riding an R1150R. I'm looking at a S4RS. I would keep my R bike for the 3 to 5 day trip where I would want the luggage, but would commute on the Ducati (kind of like having a sports car).

BMWs are supposed to be ugly. The uglier, the better. They are German.

I rode the new R1200R today as a matter of fact. Lighter than my R, but heavier than a Ducati. Great brakes, smooth motor, makes about 109 hp (loose a few ponies to the shaft though) but has more torque than any of the monsters. Its most likely the closest to a 1000cc aircooled monster (sorry, not up on your models). It is a more relaxed bike for an older guy. My main problems with it were the new "sport" screen is more like a fly screen, and not sure I could knock out a 1,000 mile day on one like my R1150R. Other thing is, I would buy it with the standard suspension (instead of the electronic adjustable thing) and then spend the $1,500 or so it takes to put a good set of Ohlins on a BMW (its like 2 rear shocks, BMWs don't have true front fork shocks, those are just empty tubes).

I would be interested to here of anyone here traveling with their monsters & how they carry stuff. Also, do you really have to clean & lube a chain 3 times a day????

Don't complain, at least your dad rides, mine thinks I'm crazy, & I'm 48.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts

Sorry to dissapoint you....... I'd say let him have the BMW since he's 62 & loves riding long distances.
BTW, I hate the looks of the BMW boxer engine as well....

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Ok BM'R bashers. I'm not a big fan of the wide cut on the sportbikes but I do like BMW R 1150 GS Adventure. It's incredible.

It can go anywhere (almost) and no chain drive!

Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman picked them for that reason.

http://www.longwayround.com

Dad might like a Duc for his second bike but it's BMW all the way. All things considered he might like ST3s with anti-lock brakes.

Hope he has fun - whatever he chooses.

;D [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
314 Posts

Yeah you won't like the way this thread is going. Here's my tip for you. At 62, your dad probably knows a thing or two, especially about what he wants. I just bought my S4R off of a 63 year old gentleman. He had two bikes and was moving to a smaller place where there wasn't room for two bikes in his garage. So now he has just one bike. The other bike that he is keeping? It is a BMW K1200RS.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts

I would have him go take a couple of looks and test rides on like an ST4s or a multistrada and see how he likes those, nothing but good things talked about on those, especially the ST series for long rides, if you want him to go italian, that would be a very nice way to do it

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts

I love my monster, but that R1200R looks to be a very good motorcycle. It's good to see BMW putting their bike on a diet. I learned to ride on BMW's and love em. They acutally handle very well once you learn that you have to ride it like it wants to be ridden. Let your old man have what he wants and you go out and get a Ducati.

·
Registered
326 Posts

Let him get the R1200R. More comfort built in and optional as well as luggage options. ABS, tire pressure monitor, anti-skid, and GPS are all available from BMW. A lot of other guys his age are on Beemers so there is a social aspect as well. Plus at least one Euro bike mag claims the R1200R is faster than the S2R 1000.

Maybe the old duffer knows a thing or two.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts

I don't know that the BMW 1200R is a good touring bike, but neither is the Monster. I would have him look at the BMW GS line and the Ducati STs or Multistrada. I wanted a BMW originally, but they were too expensive for the one I wanted then I saw the Ducati and am very happy. Either way it is European. Oh and as far as German = ugly. Come on I think the BMW cars are some of the best looking cars out there.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

He test rode a Multistrada when they first came out, and said it was too tall and too ugly. He doesn't want a full touring or sport touring bike. He prefers to have a sporty bike and make it able to tour. He doesn't do over 400 miles per day, and most of his trips are to Colorado to ride 200-ish mile days in the mountains. My dad's been riding since he was 14, so yes, he's got plenty of experience over my 11 years of riding (I'm only 18).

The R1200R is the only Beemer he is interested in. He has sat on and/or ridden everything in the showroom at the dealer.

He has ridden my M620 a few times, and liked it. He said he would need a new seat, bar risers, and a bigger windscreen to make it more comfortable for him.

He is waiting for me to come home from school in a couple weeks to see the bike myself. He won't buy it without me at least sitting on it.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts

truerider said:
Ok BM'R bashers. I'm not a big fan of the wide cut on the sportbikes but I do like BMW R 1150 GS Adventure. It's incredible.

It can go anywhere (almost) and no chain drive!

Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman picked them for that reason.

http://www.longwayround.com

Dad might like a Duc for his second bike but it's BMW all the way. All things considered he might like ST3s with anti-lock brakes.

Hope he has fun - whatever he chooses.

;D [thumbsup]
I agree on the BMW choice for his dad, but BMW wasn't their first choice for bikes. They wanted KTM's and KTM sent someone to meet with them and when he examined their route and where they were going, he went back to KTM and told them there was no way they could make it. KTM decided they didn't want their name associated with failure, so they decided not to give them the bikes. In hindsight, the BMW's were the better choice, I don't think the 990 could have carried all the crap they loaded on the BMW's.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts

From the sound of what your Dad wants, I honestly think the BMW makes more sense---in HIS case. They are truly fine bikes. I have a 2002 K1200RS, and love it. Your Dad may really like the R1200R, the R1200ST, or even the R1200GS. Either way, he is going to be way more comfortable on one of those bikes for his longer rides, than on a Monster.
BTW, I have the new S4Rs, but do not plan on making long trips on it---not as long as I have this BMW!

Brooke

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts

flyinlow said:
I agree on the BMW choice for his dad, but BMW wasn't their first choice for bikes. They wanted KTM's and KTM sent someone to meet with them and when he examined their route and where they were going, he went back to KTM and told them there was no way they could make it. KTM decided they didn't want their name associated with failure, so they decided not to give them the bikes. In hindsight, the BMW's were the better choice, I don't think the 990 could have carried all the crap they loaded on the BMW's.
Actually, Charlie Boorman wanted the KTM, Obi Wan wanted the BMW all along but went along with KTM for Charlie's sake. When KTM backed out he was quite happy to go back with the BMWs.

David B.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts

There is a review in the newest CycleWorld that compares 12 naked bikes. Pick that up and read it, it has the Ducati S4R and BMW 1200R. They ended up liking the Aprilia Tuono the best, but liked the European bikes more than the Japanese. I have it at home and will type up what they said this weekend if oyu are interested.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts

C Fresh said:
There is a review in the newest CycleWorld that compares 12 naked bikes. Pick that up and read it, it has the Ducati S4R and BMW 1200R. They ended up liking the Aprilia Tuono the best, but liked the European bikes more than the Japanese. I have it at home and will type up what they said this weekend if oyu are interested.
That was the K1200R. Very different bike than the R1200R.

Back to the original poster's question...

As someone that rode a Monster for 2 years and now rides a BMW (The new R is just the naked version of mine), from what you said your Dad wants to do, there is no comparison. The Monster is a fine motorcycle for many things, but nowhere near as comfortable for long trips. Be supportive of his getting the Beemer and let him ride your Monster every once in awhile.

Just don't ride his Beemer, you don't want to get spoiled. ;D

·
Registered
126 Posts

A 62YO man is going to want heated grips.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.