Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on the board. I don't own a Monster yet but I am seriously considering buying one this year. In the past I've owned sport bikes but last year I decided that I had enough of the life in the fast lane and bought a BMW F650GS. That was a mistake. It

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
As far as brand new bikes go I would have to put the most value in the M800. It performs as well as the old 900 and costs less. I still see new 02 900's for sale for around 9k or more. New 800's can be had for around 8k OTD (got mine for 8100 otd). Then theres a pretty big jump to the M1000 going around 11500 OTD I believe. You get 10 more HP and I think some better suspension but for over 2k more your really paying for it IMO. But overall the best value is a used 900 or S4. I think theres an S4 on Ebay right now for under 9k. And I think wilsons motorcycles here in Fresno CA has a used S4 for under 9k. Just my .02

D

·
0 Posts
If you are used to sport bikes don't spend your money on an M800. It is a great bike, but lacks a little juice. I now have a S4. IMO the S4 is worth the extra change.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
I ride an '00 M900 and rented a BMW 650GS for a couple of weeks in New Zealand. I can see where you're feeling the lack of oomph. That said, I thought the 650GS was a really nice bike, and really only missed the HP once I got over 110-120 KPH or when passing.

I have it on my to-do list to write up a model comparison for this board, but in the meantime here are some options:

If your heart is set on something new, then obviously you'll need to ride the 800, 1000 and S4 to see what feels right. You might also consider a Multistrada if the touring/upright riding/light dual sport thing still appeals to you. One thing to be aware of is that Ducs need minor service every 6000 miles and major service ever 12,000 miles. The 800, 1000 and Multistrada are all 2 valve per cylinder machines, while the S4 and S4R are 4 valve machines, with a correspondingly higher price for servicing. There are also fairly common problems with S4s and their batteries. You can slog through the posts on this board if you want the gory details.

If you're open to a used machine, you might consider a used 750 or 900. Either one will be faster than the GS. Again, you'll want to test ride to see. "S" models of either tend to have better componentry, while the Dark models tend to be more basic. "i.e." after the model indicates it is fuel injected, which many folks think is an improvement over carbed. The 750 has a wet clutch, the 900 a dry clutch and got fuel injection a year (or two?) earlier than the 750. Also the 750 and 900 have only one sparkplug per cylinder, the newer ones with "DS" in the name are dual spark plug per cylinder. Used 750s and 900s can be had for relatively little, although not quite the bargains they were immediately after the dotcom bubble popped. ;) If you get one that has about 6K or 12K on the clock, be sure to find out if the PO had the service done and deduct the cost when you negotiate if they haven't.

HTH

·
Registered
668 Posts
If your heart is set on something new, then obviously you'll need to ride the 800, 1000 and S4 to see what feels right. You might also consider a Multistrada if the touring/upright riding/light dual sport thing still appeals to you.

HTH

·
Registered
434 Posts
I think the 1000 is worth the premium over the 800 as it is a comprehesivley redesigned engine. Dual spark, new materials etc. 10 additional HP is a LOT of power and more torque.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Yeah. You will have more time to get philosophical on the 1000 as you ponder why those S4's leave you in the dust....everytime.

You guys crack me up. Aftermarket HP costs about $250 per. At approx. 17 HP more stock you are saving $4000 trying to catch up if you just quit whining about the radiator on the S4.
I don't know, I see a lot of S4s in the rear view mirror of my M750 because they're sitting in the shop...

For many people, raw speed or horsepower isn't the sole criteria on which to choose a bike.

I own 2v and 4v Ducatis and while I wouldn't want to give up the 888, I'll take the light weight and simplicity of a carbed 2v over a 4v most of the time. I do nearly all of the work on my 2v Monster and the 4v 888 often goes to the mechanic when the internals come into play. Also, the water-cooled 4v engine has more 'systems' and more parts, to me that means more complexity and more things that can go wrong. If I was going to add another Ducati to the garage today, it'd most likely be a 2v'er. (Multistrada, FE, a worn out `93 SS with too many miles on it...)

On the other hand, Scott has had both and he seems to like his 4v better, it's just a matter of where you priorities lay.

Either will get you to "supralegal" speeds on the streets quick enough.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
584 Posts
Like Rev said, a lot of us out here have the means to purchase whatever we want. And a lot of us chose the simplicity and clean aesthetics of carbed 2V Monsters.

This is obviously subjective and no of us are right or wrong. However, it seems you're suggesting that the S4 is the ultimate monster. For you, OK. But you can't generalize your own tastes for the rest of us.

Could I have purchased a brand-new S4? Yep. Instead, I chose to buy a clean, low mileage older M900 and spend the money on modifying the bike to make it truly mine. My nickel.
Dion

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
If I was going to add another Ducati to the garage today, it'd most likely be a 2v'er. (Multistrada, FE, a worn out `93 SS with too many miles on it...)
<cough>
'worn out' 'too many miles'??
dont make me bust out my Velveteen Rabbit story how you can tell if a bike was loved by how used it is.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Ooohhh..... You're right, that is much better than an ate up `93 Supersport. ::)

--Fillmore

P

·
0 Posts
I would vote for the M1000. Its the best of the 2v bikes which means less maint costs not to mention the 2V motor is well developed and rock solid. I have a 900 and it rocks for touring and spirited riding. Sux for the passenger though.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I would vote for the M1000. Its the best of the 2v bikes
im of the opinion that the 00 M900Sie is the best of the 2-valvers.
less motor, but lighter, better suspension and several stock cf parts, and FIAMM battery instead of GS ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts