Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The least patient guy I know is...me.

I sent my GT seat off to Sargent for a custom cover after I cut the stock foam down. I lowered the front about 1" and leveled it out a bit. Much more comfortable but the stock cover looked bad after I re-stretched it. So off to Florida it went. Then I called them to find out I could be without a seat for around 4 weeks! Ahhhh! It's the middle of riding season here!

I was freaking out a little. So, in a panic, I made my own replacement seat this weekend. I love the lines of the frame that are hidden by the WAY too wide stock seat, and had been wanting to see a custom solo cafe style seat that would just follow the lines of the frame and show the tubing a little like the old bikes.

I had everything I needed except the foam. Found some 3" thick foam blocks at REI that I think is used for kayak seats. I made the base out of a peice of fiberboard (I know- don't get caught in the rain...hey it only has to last 4 weeks right?). I found a couple rubber bumpers around the garage that I think fell of the bottom of my air compressor, and filed down a bolt for the latch. The foam is very dense, but has some give. It glued up real nice with contact cement, the bond was stronger than the foam. It also shapped very easy with 60 grit sandpaper. I added 1" of memory foam from a pillow insert I wasn't using (anymore!) for a bit of extra comfort. I sewed up some leftover vinyl I had laying around for the cover.

The cover is the worst part. Hard to get all the contours right. I am going to test ride tomorrow, and if it is comfy enough I will do a 300 mile group ride with it this Saturday.

What do you think? I like it. Wish the aftermarket would produce something along these lines only a little more refined.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That really turned out pretty good, I have a guy here that redid my seat, you should get him to make the cover for you and make that thing perfect, then you can switch between the two.

·
Registered
384 Posts
atleast your not without a bike ::) haha that seat looks way cool.

i miss you guys. i need to get this dang bike back together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts