Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've done a search on starting problems, but I can't find a solution to my problem:

I took the gas tank off and drained it to have it painted.

After I hooked the tank back up and put some gas in it, I tried to start it up (it had been sitting for quite a while) only to find the battery was dead

I tried to charge the battery, but I think it needs to be replaced.

I hooked up my Yamaha's battery via cable to the S2R and turned the key. The lights all came on, the guages cycle, and I can hear the fuel pump actuating.

Now here's the interesting part: When I press the start button, the fuel pump actuates for a couple of seconds (just like it does when you turn the key), but nothing else happens.
Is it normal for the fuel pump to acuate again when you hit the start button?

Does anyone know what is going on here?

Thanks,

Rob.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
The fuel pump is controlled by the ECU, when the ignition switch is turned on, the pump runs for a preset amount of time (3 to 5 seconds), and then runs again when the ECU receives a signal from the rotation sensor. It continues to run as long as engine rotation is detected.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fuel pump is controlled by the ECU, when the ignition switch is turned on, the pump runs for a preset amount of time (3 to 5 seconds), and then runs again when the ECU receives a signal from the rotation sensor. It continues to run as long as engine rotation is detected.
Yep, you're dead right. There wasn't enough power to crank so it just ran the fuel pump when the rotation was detected.

So, to the future sufferers of this problem that stumble upon this thread, I say go out and buy a new battery and all will be well. (Walmart ES12BS works fine and was only $49)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts