Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to start my 2001 monster 900 and it just made a clicking noise- it wasnt just one click either it kept clicking as long as I was holding the start button. We push started it, and it fired up and ran fine, but when I turned it off and tried to restart it, it did the same thing. I dont think its the battery because the head light seems to have plenty of juice. Anyone have any ideas?

G

·
do you have access to a voltmeter??? see if the battery is anywhere near 12 volts sitting. Maybe check the connection at the starter. I always try cussing ALOT, that seems to help in most cases, or threaten the bike ;D

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hey April, it sounds just like the problem that I had a couple of weeks ago, and I too didn't think that the battery was the culprit, but I was wrong. I thought the headlight was plenty bright, and all it did was click when I hit the starter. I had to jump start the MC to get it going, and after a nice long ride, same thing click click........ I think that the Ducati starters take a lot of juice to get them to turn over, and if the battery is at all low, it won't turn over. Something to think about, when I called the dealer to check about the battery replacement under warranty, he told me that the battery wasn't covered under warranty, but I checked with another dealer, and was informed that the GS battery that came stock on the Monster was under recall, so even if your MC isn't under warranty, maybe the battery is if it the GS type? Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Definatly sounds like a voltage thing. If the battery checks out, check all the wires going to the starter, especially the main one where it connects to the starter itself.

G

·
The Clicking noise is the starter solenoid pushing the starter gear onto the flywheel, a click and no turnover means that the battery is not supplying enough current to turn over the motor :-/. Probably neesds a long charge or replacement, also check the starter connections on the terminal block under the seat for water, loose wires, and look to see if they are touching the plastic, iv'e heard that can cause battery drain.

If after charcing the battery overnight you are still unsure, take it to an autoparts store and ave them load test it. that will tell you if its toast.

Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was the flippin battery, you guys are so smart... Thanks to all who replied. It was the first nice Satuday and I missed it because the battery, I'm not happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts