Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I noticed last week my fast idle lever (cold start lever / switch) wasn't working on my 2006 S2R Dark. On careful inspection I found that the screw that the lever on the handlebars pulls a cable which turns a cam on the throttle body which pushes against the throttle cam turning the throttle a little. Unfortunately, it looks like the screw that would screw into the fast idle cam is missing so there is nothing to push against the throttle cam.

I checked the S2R service manual and the parts catalog and neither break out the cams on the throttle body. (Why?) So I apologize if I am calling things the wrong name here. Unfortunately, this also means the dealer is not able to find me this part.

So, I pulled the cam off and tried different screws. It looks like it might be a M5 x 0.8 but that screw doesn't fit. It also looks like the threads might be a little stripped but it's hard to tell.

So, does anyone know what this screw is? Is it possible to get one or do I need to make one?

This link goes to some pictures I took of the cam the screw screws into and some pictures of the screw near it that adjusts the idle (I think?). I would assume these are similar since they do similar things. The throttle one is definitely M5 x 0.8 but it doesn't fit.

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonnieda/sets/72157623511431407/

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
8 Posts
hiya.. if the dealership cannot expand the item its because they dont manufactuer it seperately. best thing to do is get a small screw and two nuts that fit the thread and are small enough. then put one nut on the svrew and pass screw through that hole you showed then put the nut on the other end. adjust the screw by loosening and tightening the nuts. they will clamp against each other with the cam in between locking the screw in place..
thats what i would do anyway :D

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
I think I might have one somewhere, I swopped the lever set up for the more simpler 996 superbike system, got rid of the lever, cable and the item you are seeking.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I might have one somewhere, I swopped the lever set up for the more simpler 996 superbike system, got rid of the lever, cable and the item you are seeking.
If you do, I'd be happy to buy it from ya. Including the cam if you have it, as I think mine is stripped.

I'm curious though, what is the system on the 996?

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Lemme check tho it wont be till Sat.

The 996 has a small button in the throttle twist grip, the cam in the throttle housing has a stop on it, with the button pushed in, the cam stop contacts it preventing the throttle grip from fully closing, rotating the grip against the stop causes the button to pop out allowing the throttle to fully close. (once the engine has warmed up).

It's not variable over a range like the lever set up, but it works and is a whole lot simpler.

In this picture you can see the small button at the base of the throttle cam housing. (Just above the letter 'A' on the tank)

Heres the bottom end, much cleaner

Compared to the std set up

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that from a 2006? It looks quite a bit different from mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts