Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 696 was stolen, and recovered shortly after. I left the key in it, in my garage when it was stolen. The police didn't recover the key, and now my spare is missing.
Am I screwed or what? Help!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
My 696 was stolen, and recovered shortly after. I left the key in it, in my garage when it was stolen. The police didn't recover the key, and now my spare is missing.
Am I screwed or what? Help!
If you're the original owner, your dealer should be able to help. They can probably provide you a replacement key without too much trouble once they have the vehicle ID. OR - You could possibly submit a claim to your insurance for a new ignition switch if required. Do you still have the red key?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you mean the red key card? If so, i do have that. My bike came with the 2 black keys and the red key card.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
do you mean the red key card? If so, i do have that. My bike came with the 2 black keys and the red key card.
The card may help. I got one of those and two black keys and a red "service" key with my S2R.

Suggest you contact your dealer. They can advise on a replacement key. If it gets expensive for some reason, you can probably submit a claim if you have a police report of the theft and recovery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your help. I hope they can do something. The dealer placed a call to ducati today and is waiting for a response. He said it will be very expensive if not. The police report says 'the suspects shuffled the key between each-other but was not recovered" so maybe insurance will cover it if the key card wont.

·
Registered
225 Posts

The 696 does not have a red key, just two black keys and the key/immobilizer code card.

If you still have the card your dealer can program you two new keys and the old keys will no longer work with the bike.

No problem, other than the keys are $$$

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I had them make me an extra key for my 696. All you need to do is take that key card to your dealer, should be between 70 and 100 bucks. I think it's usually 70 for the key and 30 to program the key, not sure exactly...my dealership only charged me 70 because it took them 5 weeks to get my warranty part in.

Ohh, and sorry to hear about your bike, that's just wrong. If they want a Ducati tell them to man up, get a job and buy their own, instead of stealing someone elses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help. I'm just relieved that this will hopefully work out and i'll be riding again before summer is over.

Its discouraging to know something you worked hard for can be gone in a flash like it was. i guess it was pretttttttty stupid leaving the key with the bike, even though it was in my garage. Live and learn i guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts