Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Your clutch is hydraulic. See if the line is snipped or leaking, then make sure there's enough fluid in the MC on the handlebars. Then check to make sure the slave cyl, on the clutch, is working when you pull the clutch. If there's air in it you could bleed it but there shouldn't just randomly be.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
You don't have a clutch cable, your system uses hydrolics to power a slave piston. Follow the line that runs fron the clutch lever along the left side of the motor to the slave. These slaves love to leak, so look for dripping brake fluid. Also, check the fluid level in the resevoir by the lever. Even if the slave is leaking, you can still keep everything working by being sure you are topped off with fluid & you don't have any air in the line.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm..no leak that I can see. My mechanic did do a powerwash so something may have been loosened up or come apart?

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
sealed system, wash down wouldn't do it.

educated guess is the seal at the slave cyl. let go. see if there is brake fluid leaking (or has leaked) inder the front sprocket.

Mine did that, i rebuilt it and then bought an evo slave, never a problem again.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK..there was a leak the other day that looked some oil under the bike. This has happened a couple times after I get an oil change/service. It wasn't hydraulic fluid.

I have a camera right here too. If need pics!

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
an easy way to look for a leak is just to pop the top off the MC (carefully!) and see if it's low. I may be mistaken here on the totally proper way but add some fluid to fill, pump the lever slowly repeatedly to get the bubbles out, then cover it up and try again.
odds are the slave is bad though - often are.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK..that's bent back within functional limits thanks to a box wrench. :-X

·
Registered
97 Posts
If there are no external leaks, you've probably got a blown seal in the master cylinder or the slave cylinder. I've only experienced it in a car with a busted slave. Push the clutch in the fluid would slowly leak past the ruined seal gradually engaging the clutch.

If you've got no lever feel at all, I guess it could have popped the seal big time. The only option in that case is to remove and recondition or if it's under warranty, let them sought it out.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK..I'm back. The bike's still sitting here. I thought maybe it was all a bad daydream! Sadly, NO!! :(

Thanks for all the reponses guys!

I talked to one of the guys from the local Duc group: www.azduc.com He said it was a seal or o-ring in the master cylinder. He's going to stop by tomorrow or after Christmas and we're going to fix it. I guess the stock parts are cheap. I'm going to fix it and then invest in the aftermarket parts.

In the meantime (to keep my mind off the bike not working ;) ), I bought some new lights that I am going to mod for a double brake light. I'll post pics. ;D

Thanks for your help/concern!! :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts