Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was doing my weekly complete clean of my bike, and well i wasnt paying attention to which bottle of tire cleaner i grabbed and noticed, after i applied it, that it was Armor All Extreme Tire Shine for my car, not my normal cleaner!!!

I need help ASAP on how to remove this off of my tires, fortunately I noticed this before heading off onto the road! I have tried soap and water already and thats not working at all, they are as slippery as possible!

Any help would be appreciated!

M

·
0 Posts
engine bright, i think.

and a brush.

edit: i spelled that wrong.... engine brite.

by gunk

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
try Simple green or at worst Purple Power (but make sure it's wet and don't leave it on long, also wear gloves unless you need a chemical peel)

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Red Baron said:
try Simple green or at worst Purple Power (but make sure it's wet and don't leave it on long, also wear gloves unless you need a chemical peel)

Ugly Ducklin said:
Windex is the cure to all things ;)
i'd use any ammonia based cleaner; simple green, windex, 409, all work well on cutting grease/wax type of residue. I'd stay away from petroleum base cleaners since they will eat up the rubber compound on your tire and will screw up their curing process from every riding session. [thumbsup]

and stop using tire dressing (any type) period!!!

a few years back, Pirelli sent a few cats to the company that i used to work at for some technical training. One of the major problems that they had was their P-Zero line up had side wall cracking problems and they were getting calls left & right on; they finally figure it out...guess due to what??? you're right.... tire dressing, petroleum based one specifically.... so stay away from it!! keep them ugly and they'll last longer...

a few seconds of burnout also do the trix ;D [thumbsup]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I would try all of the above, then ride with extreme caution for a while. I don't understand why people put slippery stuff on any tire.

·
Registered
698 Posts
SLEESTAK said:
Yeah, that'll really help with the front tire. Good advice. ::)
obviously this tire will no longer be unusable, therefore i suggest practicing squid-like techniques which will enable you to ride solely on the rear wheel. ;D

·
Registered
930 Posts
Results?

Did you take a brush and do some burn outs??

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
DucAtl said:
obviously this tire will no longer be unusable, therefore i suggest practicing squid-like techniques which will enable you to ride solely on the rear wheel. ;D
That would be useable.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya burnout wont help the front tire at all,

Fortunately a few of my friends are Phd students at ASU's material science department and are going to bring some items from their labs over to see if we can get the stuff off, I will also try the stuff you guys recommended, the rear tire is fine already though seeing how bruning out was the first thing i did to remove some of it. Im more worried about the sides of the main tread...aka when im leaning. I called my buddy whos a mechanic at the ducati shop back east and he said that he will ask around their shop to see what can be done. Worst case senario is me grabbin sand paper and just taking the stuff off.

Usually i use a cleaner...not a wax...as i said, i grabbed the wrong bottle before i noticed it was too late. Fortunately i didnt go riding yet!

I will update after all of tmrws tests.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
FWIW, from experience that stuff is very difficult to remove.

There used to be a material used in the PBE field called Poly-Cracker.

It was nasty enough to etch glass, but did a great job removing the long polymer chains that comprise Armor-All.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Did you apply it to the entire tire or just the sidewalls? Never heard of Armor-alling the tread...

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
rgramjet said:
Did you apply it to the entire tire or just the sidewalls? Never heard of Armor-alling the tread...
Read the thread.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
ah, cleaner!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts