Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help Help Help Please!!! (throttle idles over 8000rpm!)

Guys i was riding and my RPM remained at about 8 when i dumped the clutch. Now that's it, its very high and wont go down. I am in neutral and every time i start it won't go down. The issue is not with the cable or grip because i have disconnect those and the revs are still over 6000rpm. Whats going on, any one know? And oh, I ride an M1100 2009. Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
keep looking, something is jamming the linkage at the throttle bodies open.
Ok that means its off with the tank tomorrow. I was told it could be a jammed piston, but I don't see how. This sucks and boy was it a close call. a harsh uncontrolled wheelie making a run for the trees'. I'll keep looking, but is anyone on here familiar with this issue?

·
Registered
371 Posts
you don't have to take off the tank- look on the right side through the trellis frame and you can move the throttle by hand. I haven't seen one with a major vacuum leak, but I'd check that as a secondary measure. and a jammed piston? someon'e talking out their ass. Jammed piston is major internal engine damage and it won't run. with a desmo you'd have to skip the belt or suck in an airbox full of water to accomplish this kind of damage.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you don't have to take off the tank- look on the right side through the trellis frame and you can move the throttle by hand. I haven't seen one with a major vacuum leak, but I'd check that as a secondary measure. and a jammed piston? someon'e talking out their ass. Jammed piston is major internal engine damage and it won't run. with a desmo you'd have to skip the belt or suck in an airbox full of water to accomplish this kind of damage.
I did that, and even removed the cable completely and its still idling very high. the spring also looks and feels rather tight and snug. i will look again in the AM and see if there is anything i missed. i was sooo looking forward to riding my monster. I guess the ktm superduke will have to be my horse until i have this fixed. I tried turning the throttle knob by hand the opposite direction and reduced rpm by maybe 300 and that's it. Its still running over 8k when i start it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Your friend must have thought you had carbs and was refering to carb pistons which could cause such a problem.
Bike needs to go to your dealer so this very dangerous problem can be fixed and documented.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your friend must have thought you had carbs and was refering to carb pistons which could cause such a problem.
Bike needs to go to your dealer so this very dangerous problem can be fixed and documented.
don't have any dealers here. i am in Ghana so its me or nothing. So i rather look at it myself with help from you guys.

·
Registered
319 Posts
ok, then
pop open the airbox lid and pull the air cleaner
you might have something down in your airhorns
mice, maybe? seriously, the damn things get into airboxes and build nests!
let us know what you find.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, then
pop open the airbox lid and pull the air cleaner
you might have something down in your airhorns
mice, maybe? seriously, the damn things get into airboxes and build nests!
let us know what you find.
wow! maybe.... i had the bike stored while i was in the states. Get back to u guys when i am done. Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, are air filters supposed to be wet? there was some sort of red grease on it. The bottom of the filter ripped and got logged in my throttle leaving it wide open. But the filter had some greasy substance on it, is this normal?

·
Registered
319 Posts
that's an air filter? looks like steel wool.
is it a K&N filter? the oil they spray on them is red.

i'm going to take a guess that you had pod filters on there. they got clogged with all that dust and collapsed due to vaccuum. (?)

so what's your plan to get it all out?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys the aftermarket filter ripped at the bottom completely and got stuck in my throttle housing and jammed it open even after i let go off the gas. It happened just when i was revving and dumped the clutch. i almost had a bad one coming guys. Very aggressive wheelie with no control and i refused to dump the bike and held on, managed to pull the clutch in and tap the rear brakes. Rough touch down and I had to hit the kill switch. Randy is gonna follow up with the company in the AM and ask what the hell is going on. that air filter has barely done 80 miles and so there is no reason why it should rip. bleeping hazzard!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that's an air filter? looks like steel wool.
is it a K&N filter? the oil they spray on them is red.

i'm going to take a guess that you had pod filters on there. they got clogged with all that dust and collapsed due to vaccuum. (?)

so what's your plan to get it all out?
MWR air filter for M1100. Its all out now and its running but I just contacted Randy and he is pissed and will follow this up in the AM. I got the bike delivered on the 5th of january and only put about 50miles on it. Between the final build and monster competition Randy must have put another 10 or 15miles if that. I have been in the states since the 18th of Jan and just got the bike out of storage when i arrived yesterday. So the filter is new and this should not happen. Hmm now you have me wondering if anything else got into my engine. i fired it up after cleaning the housing with some fuel and it sounds great, starting at 1200rpm and settling back down to 1000 -1100. Its almost 2am so i'll wait till Randy hears from the guys at MWR.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts