Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my new Monster in the twisties today for the first time... what a rush... it was awesome! However, I was a little tentative on some of the hard turns. How far can I push a turn on a S4R? Can I lay it down if I push too hard? Or does it corner as well as a Sportbike? Any advice? Need help form the long-timers. Give me any advice you have!

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Worth reading 'Total Control' by Lee Parks

I was feeling a bit the same way as you until I read this book. I had got into a bad cornering habit on my previous bike (SV650).

Basic tip I learnt - lean across the centreline of the bike (into the corner). I had been pushing the bike away and my body ended up on the outside (wrong side) of the bike line .

Amazing the new confidence I have got back in the faster corners and everything seems so much more controllable.

D

·
0 Posts
As well as a sport bike? I dont know, as I have never riden a true race replica. But, You can drag a knee on a monster. That is probably more lean angle than you are considering. So, in your case, yeah it does. ;)

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Nice response DucGasm! Yellowdog, seeings how you live in NC and you've got some of the most well renowned roads in the US for ridin you've really got the full range of corners to hone your skills on. Of course I'm hoping you're careful and respectful of others using said roads. Riding Deal's Gap on a warm midweek morning on my 996 late last summer was one of the best rides of my life! I like to remind folks how bikes like ours are capable of things we probably won't ever ask of them so trust your machine to do well cornering. Of course it helps to be leaning into the corner leading with your sholder and looking well ahead into it. We've all heard many times with many activities "you go where you look." When I feel I'm kinda hot in a corner I just make myself look farther into it and try to stay relaxed. And remember to tell yourslelf to keep breathing. There really are so many variables. Be careful, have fun, MH

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Two fresh crosses on 178 (on the NC/SC border) in the last month - be careful out there. No, it's not going to corner like a sport bike unless you address some ground clearence issues: footpegs, shifter & brake pedals, exhaust, kickstand..........

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
When I feel I'm kinda hot in a corner I just make myself look farther into it and try to stay relaxed.  And remember to tell yourslelf to keep breathing.
Great pointers...I really need to constantly tell myself these things!

·
Registered
687 Posts
This topic intrigued me, so I searched for a few pics of ppl cornering and noted their body position, and gave it a shot today. I had a blast - it was alot easier than I thought. my left toe touched down for the first time, and my knee got really close to the ground. Best fun I've had on my new monster yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yellowdog said:
Took my new Monster in the twisties today for the first time... what a rush... it was awesome!  However, I was a little tentative on some of the hard turns.  How far can I push a turn on a S4R?  Can I lay it down if I push too hard?  Or does it corner as well as a Sportbike?  Any advice? Need help form the long-timers. Give me any advice you have!
Hey yellow dog,

I took my S4R with me to world ducati week 2004. While there with my buddy we took one of those tours sponsored by ducati. I pushed my S4R to the limit and then some and I will stand behind the fact that you can drag pieces on the bike. Oh yeah so will the other 20some odd people with/following me (everything from 999-st4s) who complimented the S4R at every stop. Chicken Strips were non existant after that "tour". So the next time you are going into that corner a little hot, just loosen that death grip and pull that [email protected] to the ground and moderately grab that throttle and pull yourself through the corner. There is nothing better than waiting for the 996 in front of you to hit the brakes then pass him hit the brakes and pull it towards the ground, and come out of the corner in front of him. Love it

Rich

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
elpato said:
Hey yellow dog,

I took my S4R with me to world ducati week 2004. While there with my buddy we took one of those tours sponsored by ducati. I pushed my S4R to the limit and then some and I will stand behind the fact that you can drag pieces on the bike. Oh yeah so will the other 20some odd people with/following me (everything from 999-st4s) who complimented the S4R at every stop. Chicken Strips were non existant after that "tour". So the next time you are going into that corner a little hot, just loosen that death grip and pull that [email protected] to the ground and moderately grab that throttle and pull yourself through the corner. There is nothing better than waiting for the 996 in front of you to hit the brakes then pass him hit the brakes and pull it towards the ground, and come out of the corner in front of him. Love it

Rich

Wow.. thanks... great info. I feel more confident already! Thanks

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I have been forced to trust my bike a few times. I have come up on a turn that was sharper than I thought with way too much speed for my comfort. Well, the bike has not let me down. I have hit hard parts in a turn on both sides of the bike. Still no crash. Now I know what the limits are now. just trust your bike.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Tires!

S4R the super bike spec monster... most likely need good sticky rubber with all the power the bike can give at the twist of your wrist. Never in any of the posts were tires mentioned. So what are you runnin' ?

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
S4R the super bike spec monster... most likely need good sticky rubber with all the power the bike can give at the twist of your wrist. Never in any of the posts were tires mentioned. So what are you runnin' ?
Do you realize you're replying to an 8 year old thread?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts