Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Newbie here. I was wondering if you would help me decide on buying a 2001 M900. I have not seen the bike. It belongs to a friend's father's friend. It has 22,00 miles on it, is in perfect cosmetic condition, has been meticulously maintained, is equipped with low mount Termignoni C/F cans (not sure if it is a whole system), is equipped with Ohlins rear shock w/ remote reservoir. I am not sure if it has an aftermarket filter and fuel map. Everything else is stock as far as I know. He wants around $4000 for the bike.

I have not had a chance to speak to the owner himself as he has been out of town.

My questions for you:

1 - Does the price seem right?
2 - Is 22,000 a lot of miles? How many miles are these engines typically good for?

Thanks a lot for any information/ideas/opinions.

- Ryan

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. If he has all the maintenance records and has taken as good of care of it as it sounds, then I don't think 22,000 miles is a big deal. Lots of people here have MANY more miles than that. My '01 M900 has 16,000 and is still running great. Make sure the belts are <2 years old...if they aren't or you can't tell, then just replace them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Jeremy. Hate to admit that I don't know something, but I am not sure what the "belts" are. I am new to Ducatis. I have only owned one motorcycle, my 2001 Triumph Thunderbird. It has treated me well and taught me a thing or two about riding, but I need something a little sportier.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Ryno said:
has been meticulously maintained,
This is the key.

Price sounds good.
lots of people here have got 40-50k or more without needing anything other than routine maintenance

(to answer your belt question, valves need to be adjusted every 6k miles, and cam belts are replaced every 12k as required maint.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MH,

What does happen when people get to the 40-50k mile mark and something other than regular maintenance needs done? What are the common "old-age" failures, and how serious/expensive do they usually get? To let you know, I am extremely attentive to my current motorcycle and would be the same way with the Monster. I enjoy working on the bike as much as riding it. I would never neglect the bike.

Thanks for the info.

- Ryan

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a 2001 M900ie Dark with around 18,000 miles and the engine runs flawlessly. I am the second owner, but the PO had maintenance records and such. The bike was stock when I bought it and I paid $4500. So $4000 seems like a fair price to me, as long as the maintenance has been done as you suggest. Sounds great, enjoy!

Ryan

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
If all is true regarding this moto and I were the seller, I'd say four thousand firm. So price is good.

·
Registered
271 Posts
With the Ohlins rear there's a chance this is an S model. If so it will also have the aluminum swingarm, adjustable front showas, and carbon fiber fenders. If so that's a particularly good price.

At 17K I've had no mechanical failures. There's a guy on the board with 125K+ on his bike w/o a rebuild. All depends on how you treat it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for all of the input.

The bike is not the "S" model. The owner upgraded the rear suspension to the Ohlins w/remote. The front forks are stock still.

I really appreciate all of your opinions. Keep 'em coming.

- Ryan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts