Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INSTALLED my new MPL Clutch pressure plate today (MPL Type three open cover, MPL red ventilated pressure plate, MPL gold clutch spring inserts). Also felt inspired by the latest Robb Report Monster and took off the timing belt covers. Road the bike around a bit and bike seemed alot noisier than prior with all the covers on. The timing belt sounded pretty load without the cover.

When I pulled out the OEM plat and tapped out the rod. The long rod separated from the flack piece that went into the bearing pack on the pressure plate. I tapped the black piece into the MPL plate (which comes with a new bearing pack and put the rod back into the plate before inserting all back, making sure the plate sat firmly on the clutch gears and tightening all the clutch spring bolts.

Just wondering if I need to be looking for/worrying about anything related to the two mods about to ensure I did not do anything suspect to my Monster. Loader may not necessarily be bad but a little spooked with the sound the timing belts made given that usually (when you here that whirling high pitched sound) in the car, it means something is wrong. Appreciate the help and any advise on the plate install or the sense/nonsense of pulling off the timing belt covers (which I actually prefer the look of open). New to board and Ducatis but looking to learn from the wrenches on this board.

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
the only things i can think of would be, make sure the pressure plate is aligned properly, there's a dot or mark of some kind on your new pressure plate by one of the 6 holes that the springs sit in, this lines up with a groove on one post on the hub. you should use a little grease on each end of the pushrod too.
as far as removing the timing belt covers, i've never done it but i'm not surprised it's louder, my only concern with not running covers would be potential damage to the belt from flying debris, personal choice though, it's your bike. [thumbsup]
cheers,
paul.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
What sort of cover were you running on the clutch previously? If it was a closed cover before and you went to open, you're going to pick up a good bit of noise. Also some people have noted a different 'note' on the clutch noise when them moved from a the cast pressure plate to a billet one. The billet resonate more than the cast.

Also, you're going to pick up nose when you pull the belt covers. Not shocking that you hear a higher pitched noise. Some noise is normal, even in a car. It's that high pitched, loud 'scrreeeeee' that you should worry about. You know the noise...

Basically.. a Duc is quietest when it's rolled off the asembly line. Closed up air box, clutch, belts etc. Once you start opening up things, you'll start to hear a whole slew of noises. Also, changing billet parts for stamped or cast will change how things sound.

My fave is the 'phss phss phss' coming out of an opened airbox - Yay for fuel injector noise!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts