Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled the top bolt on the first fork. The spring sleeve was already held below the locking nut by a factory looking cupped washer with a slot to allow removing it with the spring compressed. My only reference is Haynes, which says for the Showas like this I need to compress the spring & sleeve and insert a slotted washer like the one already there to allow holding the locking nut and removing the top bolt. ???

The description in the Haynes indicates I should be seeing a slider and rubber seat boot on top of the sleeve. Nothing there but the cupped/slotted washer. There is a thick rubber washer up on the bottom of the top bolt that looks to be a bump stop of sorts in case the fork bottoms all the way.

From the factory-shaped appearance of the washer, I'm thinking this is the way they are supposed to be and that Haynes just erroneously used the description from the adjustable versions for the non-adjustables as well. But I'm clueless.

Has anyone been into this type of fork before? What should I be looking at?

Thanks for any insight into this dilemma.
Mark

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Help! 95 Showa Non-Adj Forks Missing Something

Update - past the panic phase :)

Both forks are identical, and everything fits right/works right. Must be one of the rare errors in Haynes.

They are actually quite easy to release the springs since the locking nut is already exposed.

Springs still about 7mm longer than minimum, and oil looked pretty good. :)

R

·
0 Posts

must be the Haynes trying to cover a lot of forks,,,,,,,,,,,,that's the way my showa's are anyways..........

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yeah, I think the Haynes folks inadvertantly repeated the text from the preceding section on the adjustable versions.

Man, fork oil is some slippery stuff!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts