Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '00 M900s.

There is a hollow metal U-shaped bar that sits behind the headlight bracket, with the open part of the U facing up. Each length is about 4" long. It looks like it's attached to the bottom clamp on my forks, and the tops are holes with plastic rings inside. A "needle"-ish part sticks into the opening from the top clamp. Overall it looks like the U-bar is there to set the spacing between the clamps properly.

The top part of one side looks seated properly. The other side looks like it has spring loose--the "needle" chewed the opening of the U up a little and now is not seated in this U.

Should I be concerned about this? To try to re-seat, I could put the front on a stand and loosen the lower clamp, slide it down, adjust the top of the U, and slide it back up and re-torque the lower clamp pinch bolts. The part looks like it might give out again and slide free.

I can take pictures if I'm not describing this well enough, but I'm going to go to bed first.

Any advice? I don't want things to fall apart as I'm doing power wheelies in second gear with a pillion...

Tigre

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Easy fix if it's like all the older models:

The vertical bolts that hold the dash/instrument cluster should be the ones that protrude down into the top of the u-bracket. Just back out the one that has disengaged and flex the u-bracket into alignment by pushing or pulling the headlight mount while you run the bolt back into place.

That u-bracket is what the headlight mounting ears are welded to, so you want to fix it to minimize vibration that could kill the headlight bulb.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
What Mark said. Those "needles" are the ends of some funky long bolts that hold the instrument panel to the top clamp.

But if the top of that U is worn, you're going to want to reinforce it. A neat way would be to find some aluminum tubing at the hardware store that has an ID that just fits over the worn bracket; cut an appropriate length and epoxy it on. The messy way would be to put a small hose clamp around it.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome--thanks guys!

Don, shoot me an email offline--let me know how things are going.

Tigre

1 - 4 of 4 Posts