Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just trying to figure out what kind of helmet I should buy. So far the model I liked the best is the HJC Sy-Max. I like the idea of the flip up face mask. Shoei makes a model with the same design, but its two hundred dollars more. Like I said, I don't know much so any advice would be helpful!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
As far as helmets go, purchase the best lid you can afford. Shoei and Arai are great helmets but pricey. KBC makes some nice modelswith similar construction and features for much less cash. The Wolf, VR-1, and Racer 1 come to mind from KBC.
Also, look for SNELL foundation approval. The SNELL foundation puts helmets through more extensive testing than is required from the DOT.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I was going to buy the Shoei Syncrotec helmet until my brother-in-law, who has a Nolan, told me how loud they were. Most helmets are SNELL or DOT rated. The price difference comes from fit, finish, and features. The the most comfortable helmet you can afford.

R

·
0 Posts
I am a big Aria fan. I used to buy Shoei. Both are fine helmets. And both fit me well. I found the Aria to feel lighter with better air flow.
We have a saying around these parts. $50 head? Then buy a $50 helmet. In other words, don't skimp on the single most important peice of safety equipment you will wear.
HCG is fine. Just make sure it fits correctly.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
After having worn both Arai and AGV, I now have a KBC Racer1. I have no complaints about it. It does everything the others did and is comfortable. The removable liner is a bonus as is the price. 329.00 retail.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I've had Shoei's, Suomy's, HJC's but the best one yet by far is the Arai. The fit, lining, comfort and lack of fogging up inside is a HUGE step ahead of everything else.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I was going to buy the Shoei Syncrotec helmet until my brother-in-law, who has a Nolan, told me how loud they were. Most helmets are SNELL or DOT rated. The price difference comes from fit, finish, and features. The the most comfortable helmet you can afford.
Yeah, I've got a Syncrotec... the wind noise is a bit excessive, especially for a $400+ helmet. The flip up feature is nice, though...

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I have Arai, Shoei, FM, & HJC & the HJC is my favorite with the Arai a close second. I don't know much about the flip up helmets, but I'm sure they are a compromise in the safety area.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I think it's a head fit issue. Had an HJC CL12 and thought is was the best...until I got my Arai Signet. With arai offering helmets for 3 head shapes, you can get a better( more snug for me) fit. Some argue better fit is safer. I feel better in my Arai.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i have an arai and an agv. fit and finsh of the arai are much better than the agv, but again it was twice the cost. i tried on a shoei at the dealer sunday but i'll still take my arai anyday.

get what fits the best for you.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I know I was lucky -- got my Arai Signet at a dealer closeout for $225. Also saw them cheap at the Honda Hoot last summer. It's harder to find a deal since they stopped internet sales but you can find one if you shop.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems that the general consensus would be to get an Arai. Would anyone happen to have a link to a site for Arai? It would save me the search time. Also, I'm still looking for oppinions on whether to get a Monster 620 or 800. There is a link in the general forum. Thanx!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I don't know much about the flip up helmets, but I'm sure they are a compromise in the safety area.
That statement has a big hole in it!

Well, if you look at one, you'll see that the flip up part locks in place. If they pass SNELL and DOT certification, where does the compromise come into play?

S

·
0 Posts
Howie is right. Flip-ups don't get the Snell approval. Buy the helmet that fits best, but splurge. It could be your most important purchase.

·
Registered
915 Posts
As for researching helmets lately, sorry I can't remember the thread of where I read it....it isn't that the flip-ups don't pass Snell, its that they haven't been tested by Snell yet. I think that is a major difference of wording.

FWIW,
gnew

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
I have Arai, Shoei, FM, & HJC & the HJC is my favorite with the Arai a close second. I don't know much about the flip up helmets, but I'm sure they are a compromise in the safety area.

They absolutely are. Id only use one of those if i was ok with an open face helmet. That little mechanism that locks the face down doesn't always hold during a crash. The last thing id want in a wreck is to suddenly have my face exposed to the great belt sander that we call the pavement. My vote goes for the full on full face helmet.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have tp put my $.02 in for Arai helmets. I have a Signet and a Signet GTR, I have the "long oval" shaped head and find the Signet series work for me. I tried a few Shoei helmets but I always got forehead pain after about 30 mins.

Like others have posted, spend what you can but MAKE sure the helmet fits. Go to your local dealer and try on helmets untill you think your ears will rip with the next helme you try. There was some guy on eBay selling new Arai and Shoei helmets for about $325-400. The Arai helmets even had 2002 and 2003 manufacture dates.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts