Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any helmets or visors that adjust to the light? I kind of like the dark visor look, but am kind of worried about riding with it at night!
:p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
there are a couple that were reviewed at webbikeworld. you should read about it. nothing really gets that dark. they barely changed at all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have heard all kinds of good stuff about these....I just ordered one a few days ago....

Fog City Hyper Optiks

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
i've tried them all. i used to carry both a clear and dark visor if i thought i might get caught out at night. wearing a dark visor at night is pretty dangerous.

the fog city hyper optiks and the other insert are completely worthless as photochromatic lenses. they're too dark and night, and not dark enough in the daytime.

there's actually a new technology that the big helmet manufacturers have licensed (arai, shoei, hjc, etc.) where visors can be made with real photochromatic functionality built in. i think in the past the issue was the real photochromatic lenses had to be glass???

anyway, i suspect that the new technology allows plastic lenses to have real photochromatic functionality. i haven't read any updates about this technology since they did their press release about a year ago that the big helmet manufacturers had licensed their tech.

so, in the meantime, i ordered a caberg trip helmet with a flip-down dark visor like a pilot's helmet.

there are a few options there: schuberth, caberg, and nolan.

check out www.helmetharbor.com for products and reviews.

·
Registered
541 Posts
TerribleTabo said:
I kind of like the dark visor look, but am kind of worried about riding with it at night!
:p
So switch it out for a clear one at night.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
simonster said:
i've tried them all. i used to carry both a clear and dark visor if i thought i might get caught out at night. wearing a dark visor at night is pretty dangerous.

the fog city hyper optiks and the other insert are completely worthless as photochromatic lenses. they're too dark and night, and not dark enough in the daytime.

there's actually a new technology that the big helmet manufacturers have licensed (arai, shoei, hjc, etc.) where visors can be made with real photochromatic functionality built in. i think in the past the issue was the real photochromatic lenses had to be glass???

anyway, i suspect that the new technology allows plastic lenses to have real photochromatic functionality. i haven't read any updates about this technology since they did their press release about a year ago that the big helmet manufacturers had licensed their tech.

so, in the meantime, i ordered a caberg trip helmet with a flip-down dark visor like a pilot's helmet.

there are a few options there: schuberth, caberg, and nolan.

check out www.helmetharbor.com for products and reviews.
Thanks for the info! [thumbsup]

It will be interesting to see what the new technology will bring.

Yeah, I used to have the Caberg justissimo. The outer dimension was a bit too big & made me look like a Martian. I got tired of people giggling at me so I got a Arai. LOL

I just always wanted to get a blacked out visor. ;D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
hmmm. i wonder if that new visor tech is available?!? the minute they have them for arai and/or shoei, i'm getting them. in the meantime, i'll check out the scorpion. those are good, inexpensive helmets!

taco, btw, the cabergs just got redesigned smaller. i measured my new caberg trip v2 race, and it's only 1/2" longer and about 1/3" wider. it's also only 0.5oz heavier than my arai corsair. i've heard the cabergs were ginormous in the past. i kinda like how my trip looks a bit funky.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
i found that company. i wonder how their tech compares to what scorpion has (or if it's the same thing). i hope somebody has something better than those BS inserts. i was so excited when they came out i bought one for each of my buddies. total waste.

http://www.acsastech.com/Products/sunshift.asp

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
simonster said:
hmmm. i wonder if that new visor tech is available?!? the minute they have them for arai and/or shoei, i'm getting them. in the meantime, i'll check out the scorpion. those are good, inexpensive helmets!

taco, btw, the cabergs just got redesigned smaller. i measured my new caberg trip v2 race, and it's only 1/2" longer and about 1/3" wider. it's also only 0.5oz heavier than my arai corsair. i've heard the cabergs were ginormous in the past. i kinda like how my trip looks a bit funky.
Really? That's great news! Those helmets are really nice looking! If that is the case, then I will probably get the new Caberg. Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
TerribleTabo said:
Really? That's great news! Those helmets are really nice looking! If that is the case, then I will probably get the new Caberg. Thanks for sharing!
yup. i'm not sure about the justissimo, but the trip v2 is the one i have. i was surprised by how light and relatively small it was, given all the gizmos, compared to my arai corsair, because i've always thought of the corsair as one of the lightest/smallest/sexiest helmets out there.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
simonster said:
yup. i'm not sure about the justissimo, but the trip v2 is the one i have. i was surprised by how light and relatively small it was, given all the gizmos, compared to my arai corsair, because i've always thought of the corsair as one of the lightest/smallest/sexiest helmets out there.
BTW does the Caberg logo seem like it would come off easy?

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
TerribleTabo said:
BTW does the Caberg logo seem like it would come off easy?
ha ha. yep. i looked at that too. it's just a sticker on top of the clear in front.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Kennylr said:
The scorpion visor just came in yesterday! its not too dark but it looks like it will do what i want it to.
looks like it works a lot better than the stupid fog city shield. the clear looks properly clear for night riding, and the dark looks just dark enough to work for the daytime, although i'd like to see it get darker. still, a reasonable trade-off for not having to carry an extra visor around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah so would I, but ill take what I can get. Plus I'm waiting on my monster to get out of the shop to try it out fully and see how well it actually preforms.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I got my monster back Friday and rode all weekend with that visor and all I got to say is, man i love that thing! It doesn't look like it but it does get dark enough. I liked it so much i bought one for a buddy of mine and he liked it as well. So over all it works out pretty darn good in my oppion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts