Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see lots of Sport bikes with an extra helmet hooked to the back fender will riding. It seems very secure and doesn't seem to bounce around. If I put my helmet like that it'd be bouncing all over or falling off. What do they hook to and how??? Does anyone carry them like that??

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... tried it once with the Ducati-floss... don't recommend doing it unless you get a really tight net to go around the helmet as well. even tried the net with the floss. still flips around in the wind.

suggestion - if you want to have a helmet for one of your friends, and you have a few lying around at home, just leave one with them for future use.

if you only have 1 spare passenger helmet, maybe try securing it to the fuel tank behind a windscreen. use a cargo net to tie it down to the trellis frame.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I had a longer cable made so that I could lock down my helmet, but have enough play to place it on top of the passenger seat. On top of the helmet I use a bungie cargo net hooked to the frame. Very secure and easy way to corry a helmet or anything else for that matter. In fact, I think my cargo net might be my most frequently used bike accesory...

-Jordan

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
if you dont want scratches on your helmet, be sure to stow it in a helmet sock before putting it on the bike. the net tends to rub on the finish and any dust that settles on the bike will get trapped b/t the net and the helmet.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a bungee net I bought YEARS ago, and I never liked it cause the holes in the net were too big the helmet would slide right through, maybe they have improved over the years!

D

·
0 Posts
I use the bungee net as well. I leave the thing on the bike full time. At first I had trouble keeping the net tight, but since i removed the plastic side oanels I just hook the net into the mounting holes fo rthe side panels. If it ever slides, it will slide forward.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I like that helmet holder idea. Although I just bought a stronger cable to run through my helmet holder.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
The main thing is you don't want to dangle the helmet from your seat while you're riding. It could swing into the tire and cause a big mess.

If you're looking to lock the helmet while off the bike, Kryptonite makes a nice cable for securing smaller items:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts