Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a guy in traffic the other day who had his visor done with a print similar to what you see in the back window of a pickup truck.

You know, the small dot print that makes a picture from the outside but you can see through fine from the inside?

It was a demon face and blended into the helmet paint. Very good looking (although for me I think something more subtle would be cool).

Anyone seen this before and have an idea where to start looking?

(Obviously this would be in place of a very dark screen for daytime riding only, to be switched to a clear at night)

Chris

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
many of the guys that specialize in helmet painting will do it. make sure to find somebody that has experience in it, so that you don't degrade the integrity of the helmet itself with any sort of wacky paint solvents.

basically they just airbrush the design over avery window screen. it significantly reduces vision, btw, and regardless of what paints they use, there's always the lingering smell of calimari... ;)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The stuff that Statler is talking about is not paint, it is similar to window tint but has a design. Usually you see it on back windows and it doesn't impair your vision. I am searching Statler.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found them. www.skullskins.net

clever idea and the website is extremely well done.

I ordered a sticker for my visor and will post up when it gets here.

I know it's cheesy as hell but you know there are days when you just want to scare the cagers. Common... admit it...

Not sure about legality either and while I can't find anything against it I am absolutely sure it will cause me to be more likely to be pulled over.

Still kind of cool.

Chris

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got some good evil-looking eyes for a flat-black helmet (fire-eyes? I don't remember), and my wife got the cute female eyes with long eyelashes.

Should be here in the mail any day. I'll post pics.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
srussell said:
Pretty cool. Can you see thru them in the dark?
Don't know yet. But they're going on the tinted visors anyway so there'll always be a clear to swap out for riding at night anyway.

I figure there's enough **** to deal with at night and a simple clear visor goes with me everywhere in case I get stuck longer than my planned ride.

But I'll let everyone know about visibility through the sticker once it's here.

Chris

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Any updates?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dark colors don't show as well as the lighter ones (see crappy pics).

It is very hard to get the sticker stretched just right to follow the compound curve of the visor. I think there will allways be afew lifts (I will try to slice a few carefully to get them to lay down.

Looking through it is fine... like looking through a screen door up close.

They're going to collect bugs like mad. I think it's a one season deal and then replace depending on how easy cleaning will be. Haven't ridden enough (one ride) to see yet.

The lighter colors realy show up and look great (see wife's helmet). I think the lighter skull bone ones will look better as the dark ink on mine isn't black enough compared to the visor and the eyes don't stand out as much as I'd like. Would look better on a clear visor perhaps.

I think I'll pick up another one soon.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lawyers Dad said:
When I apply vinyl masking material to glass for etching, I use a new sharp exacto blade to make a tiny hole in bubbles. Of course glass is glass and the visor is plastic so more care would be required.

By the way, don't you have any work to do at the office at 01:39 PM? See you in a month.
Hey, Dad, adjust your setting on the forum for local time. That was 4:39 pm. And I had already won three cases so no, I did not have to do more work.

The screens are already a mesh so I think cutting just a few connecting pieces should do it and the edges will law down. It's only at the edges. No bubbles so far.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Pretty slick, The one on your wifes helmet has got to freak some people out. [laugh]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lawyers Dad said:
Clock? Ya right.....

So the screen is not just printed on a clear stickyback? Interesting.
That's what will make them a bear to clean. All the little holes between the mesh to collect stuff. I'll shoot a closeup later.
It's also what makes them pretty good at fitting wierd screens I bet. Lets them stretch in all directions at any point on the print. They're not real stretchy, but just a little bit once the backing is pealed off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
man those are badass.. i don't really like any of the ones they have though except the rising sun is pretty cool.. i'd probably make my own... what to choose what to choose.. a mirrored visor with a chrome helmet.. a cheap skin like those on a cheap helmet.. the kbc assassin.... or i also like that reflective sticker on a cheap black helmet.. tough choices ahead

1 - 19 of 19 Posts