Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
??? I'm getting another helmet this winter and I am looking at kbc or icon. They are both under 200.00 which is what I have to spend and my local dealer carries both brands.
the kbc model is a vr-1. It seems to fit well and feels as light as my arai. I have read alot of positive reviews about them but I don't know anyone who owns one.
I have a couple of friends who hve icon helmets and they are both happy with them. I read somewhere that they were made by hjc. Both helmets have dot and snell ratings.
BTW I'd like to have another arai but it isn't in what's left of my budget this winter.

H

·
0 Posts
I'd wait till spring to buy the helmet. Save up, and get what you really want. You're not riding this time of year anyway, so what's the hurry? Later...

M

·
0 Posts
Show some style, buy the Icon ;D. Which one are you looking at? Besides the style, the Icon helmets have a dual density inner liner, which offers protection in both low and high speed impacts, unlike most other Snell helmets which have very dense liners, designed for high speed impacts. The Mainframe also is designed for use with headphones/speakers, if you're so inclined. Both Icons are noticeably lighter in weight than the ones from kbc.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't have very good luck with a couple of icon items I got earlier , super duty gloves and hooligan boots, but the icon rep took both items back and gave me full credit so I know they stand behind their product. I got another pair of their boots and they are much nicer than the earlier ones I had. The rep explained that they had some problems with suppliers early on but that they have straightened things out now. I was very happy with their service.
The icon helmet I am looking at is the primary in silver and black.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
... might want to check eBay for some Suomy gunwinds or Spec-1 helmets..

saw them for $139...not sure if they're legit though... do your background checks, etc on it before buying them.

M

·
0 Posts
The silver and black primary is a good looking helmet. I've got a red one that I wore most of this year. The ventilation is killer, and it's quiet and comfy. Also- easiest, quickest faceshield changing there is.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the suomy gobert replica helmet but my local shop doesn't carry them. I get most of my stuff at the same place because the owner has always treated me very well. I got a good deal on my bike when I bought it from them and I have always got good deals on parts and accessaries and excellent service.
Having said all of that I'll probably go with an icon helmet.I'll be using both my arai and the icon, I just wanted to have a choice. My youngest son rides on back ( 14 yrs old) and I wanted another ff helmet for him to wear also.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i got a agv demon i used it 4 months ill sell it to you for $100.00 its red and black size med. i got a suomy. the icon stuff is wack

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
wack as in "da bomb" or "****ed up"?
What? Don't you have your boy-band translation dictionary handy? ;D

--Fillmore

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
??? I guess I don't know what wack means either ? I just learned what bling and the dope mean from my teenage kids. And I used to be so cool :'( :-[

N

·
0 Posts
for what its worth, i bought a soumy, definitely very comfortable and LIGHT, (1200g). got it from motowheels.

L

·
0 Posts
Take a chance: Nolan X-Lite, about $169 on eBay. Very, very quiet.

You are not kidding, that is one great helmet if you can get over the odd shape of the cone....I would not trade my X-lite for anything. The deals on Ebay are great, the helmet was priced in the $400 range about a year ago.

P

·
0 Posts
Check out some of the helmets on the Ducati website accsesories section . The dark Blade looks pretty cool.Dunno about the price though.

Z

·
0 Posts
I purchased a KBC VR-1 about a year ago.
When I bought the helmet, it was nice and snug... I did notice that it loosened up considerably as time went on. Might be something to consider if you go this route - buy it a size smaller.
As far as worksmanship, the helmet is decent (you get what you pay for). However, after a year and 9,000 miles of usage, the plastic guard on the very bottom of the helmet is coming unglued and the top lining (just above the visor) keeps falling down. All in all, I guess I got my money's worth, but I am in the market for a new helmet. I think I'm going to check ebay for a good deal on an ARAI RX-7.
Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts