Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on how to put your helmet on without your ears folding? I don't wanna use a baclava. Normally this problem doesn't bother me since my ears unfold when they get to the ear pockets. I've finally found a pair of speakers that MIGHT work on my Shoei X-11 but the problem is that my ears fold when I put on the helmet and with the speakers in there my ears don't unfold like usual. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I can't get pass this I guess I'll either need a baclava or I get to return my $200 headphones. :-\

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hrm...I dunno if this will help but I've always had problems with Shoei helmets and my ears. Seems like the ear hole is in the wrong spot. I tried on Arai helmets and the ear situation was much improved...the shape of my head just fits perfectly in there.

I know that doesn't help you now, because you already have a Shoei, but maybe for others--or for you in the future, a different brand would help your ears feel better inside the helmet.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Btrthnezr3 is talking about the whole oval head vs round head thing and how Arai helmets fit the oval heads better and the Shoei's fit the round heads better. I'm a round head and the Shoei's fit me perfectly.

The problem is that the X-11 has extremely shallow ear pockets. The RF-1000 has much deeper ear pockets and accomodates helmet speakers well. The shallow pockets on the X-11 make it nearly impossible to find a pair of helmet speakers that don't put extreme pressure on your ears or just plain make it impossible to put the helmet on. Autocom speakers are the closest to fitting that I've found but now I've got this ear folding problem. :-\

·
Registered
51 Posts
[offtopic] Does having headphones in your helmet compromise safety? or does it depend on which kind of headphones? [/offtopic]

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Toad2012 said:
[offtopic] Does having headphones in your helmet compromise safety? or does it depend on which kind of headphones? [/offtopic]
Most people will say yes. Most people would advise not listening to tunes in traffic since it's another distraction. I plan on doing a lot rides on the back roads and like to listen to some tunes when there's nobody around.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought I got it wrong. Just too lazy to look up the right spelling... or right word for that matter [cheeky]

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Blueshark928 said:
I wear a thing called a Slik. Its basically a skull cap/helmet liner. Keeps the inside of my helmet like new, it covers my ears and keeps my E2c buds from popping out when sliding my RF-1000 on. A great product.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?item=SLIK
+1. i've used a slik forever. i can't stand putting on a helmet without one now.

also for shoei helmets, the speakers from my chatterbox tended to mash against my ears, so i took a little dish and compressed the foam slightly in the ear pockets so that the speakers cleared my ears.

never had to do this for my arai helmets.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is an interesting idea. I think a spoon would work nicely for that! I was playing around with it a bit and was tempted to "gouge" it with my nail to compress the foam a bit. I decided against that since it seemed a bit destructive and not very well thought outl... [cheeky]

·
Registered
322 Posts
i was trying to figure out how the hell baklava would help in this situation. the first thing that came to mind was to stick the confection behind your ears and press them back until they stayed. then i thought there MUST be a better way. then i just shook my head and scrolled down. thank you, Industrial_Grrrl, for the clarification.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
nissontek said:
i was trying to figure out how the hell baklava would help in this situation. the first thing that came to mind was to stick the confection behind your ears and press them back until they stayed. then i thought there MUST be a better way. then i just shook my head and scrolled down. thank you, Industrial_Grrrl, for the clarification.
if you eat enough of it, you'll get all fat and no longer be inclined or able to ride ducatis.

instead, you'll get a big ole' harley and one of those skid lids that doesn't cover your ears at all.

and ta dahhhhh! no more helmet-ear-folding. [clap]

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Slip the helemt on (or off) with a little bit of a skew so you get one ear in first. Then with your freehand hold the tip of your ear (or your lobe) flat to your head. Combined with a bit of outward pull on the straps this makes easy entry or exit from the helmet with out rubbing your ears the wrong way.

Must be a lot to do with the various shape of ears because I have no trouble going in and can pull my helmet straight on but I need this technique to get out. My mate is completely the opposite.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts