Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice about whether to keep my helmet - which I have one more day to return under cyclegear's "no hassle 7 day" policy.

I bought a scorpion EXO-700, for many of the same reasons a bunch of people here did (price, quality) and also because i could get it in neon green, which I really love and think the color makes it the single best safety device I own. (the only accident ive ever been in was when someone u-turned into me b/c they didn't see me).

After a 1h ride I am getting a bigtime pressure point / headache on my forehead. Turns red and all that. I'm pretty sure that the next size up is too large and would replicate the problem of my old HJC, which smooshed into my nose at 70mph.

Again, I really really like the color and don't think anyone else makes a green one like it. What do you all recommend? Shave / squash / spoon in the forehead foam a little bit? Return it for another brand or model? Help please!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I need advice about whether to keep my helmet - which I have one more day to return under cyclegear's "no hassle 7 day" policy.

I bought a scorpion EXO-700, for many of the same reasons a bunch of people here did (price, quality) and also because i could get it in neon green, which I really love and think the color makes it the single best safety device I own. (the only accident ive ever been in was when someone u-turned into me b/c they didn't see me).

After a 1h ride I am getting a bigtime pressure point / headache on my forehead. Turns red and all that. I'm pretty sure that the next size up is too large and would replicate the problem of my old HJC, which smooshed into my nose at 70mph.

Again, I really really like the color and don't think anyone else makes a green one like it. What do you all recommend? Shave / squash / spoon in the forehead foam a little bit? Return it for another brand or model? Help please!
Helmets are such a personal choice that it's difficult to make a recommendation. But in all my years of riding I've always preferred Arais as they seem to fit me better than anything else I've tried on. They have a good rep for protection and I've always found a style I like, but as I said above, it's really a personal thing. They make multiple shapes (long oval head shape, intermediate oval head shape, round oval head shape) as well as various sizes of course. I've recently seen single color Arais at Cycle Gear for a lot less $ than the elaborate designs. If you like the fit, you might find someone who can paint it the color you like. It's not cheap but may be the answer to headache or smooshed nose syndrome.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't know if this is too late or not, but I'll throw in my two cents.

I've got a huge head, and Shoei is the only brand that comes close to fitting me. There may be others I haven't tried, but I've been through a bunch of fitting attempts and Shoei seems to be my brand.

I've had four Shoei's, and the first three had no pressure points at all. Perfect fit, as far as I can tell. My newest one has a pressure point right in the middle of my forehead.

I thought of returning it, but I decided to keep it, and I've been riding for a year with it. Either my skull or the helmet liner has deformed enough that no longer feel it, though I still have a red mark for a few minutes after pulling it off. I've heard the liner can be 'adjusted' if it's uncomfortable as well, but never investigated it as it's no longer a big enough deal for me.

HTH,
Bigjilm

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
dont mod the helmet to get it to fit
compromises the safety
sounds like you have more of an oval shape head that is longer front to back.
the scorpion must fit more round (and the HJC too it sounds like)
keep shopping for one that fits your head shape better

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do not shave, crush or otherwise modify a helmet's liner to make it fit your head. Beyond voiding the warranty, you are removing the helmet's ability to save your noggin.

Beyond that, buy an Arai Profile. What you are describing is Shoei head, and it happens because your head does not fit the Shoei helmet shape. Shoei makes great helmets, but they don't fit every one. Been there, done that myself. Arai has an answer, and it is the Profile.

And yeah, I know the helmt's not a Shoei, but I tried a Scorpion before I bought my latest Arai and it had the same fit as a Shoei on me. Pressure point right on the top of the forehead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts