Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a Monster as my next bike, but confused about the models. I read the FAQs from this and other sites, but want a few pointers on which specific Monster would be best.

Here is my list:

-$9k budget
-Prefer handlebar to clip-ons
-Want 800cc or more
-Don't like dark colored paint
-Don't mind wrenching, but don't relish it either.

My last bike was a Honda VFR, and while it was great, I'm ready for a change...something a *tiny bit* less racer and a *tiny bit* more standard/naked.

What say ye?

P.S. my wife is Italian, so this deal is almost pre-sold :)

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Stretch a little more & get the M1000.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
oh man, why ask? you're getting a monster. you just can't help yourself. the questions are: which model? new or used?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get the 800.
I got a red 800 in Oct of this year and paid $8200 for it out the door. I love the ducati red color, and having fuel injection gives you one thing less to worry about. I love the sportiness of it and still having a relaxed raiding position with a handlebar.

There's not a single person on this board that doesn't love their monster.
The 800 fits the requirements you listed.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should not be to hard to sort you got 2v air cooled and 4v water cooled....2v easier to wrench and maintain, less money....and many have the opinion better looking with out the radiator. I would also recommend the 1000ds, if buying new.
Maybe there is a '03 laying around for less. There is no such thing as best. Just different. Save for mods down the road!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the VFR as your last bike the M1000 would be the Monster for you. Get the hard luggage as well, and then you will also have a touring bike.
Some guys have all the luck, a Monster and an Italian wife, who can ask for more.

Slim

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get the 800.
I got a red 800 in Oct of this year and paid $8200 for it out the door. I love the ducati red color, and having fuel injection
What was the first year for the 800 to get fuel injection?

That combination (800cc, fuelie) sounds quite tasty.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What was the first year for the 800 to get fuel injection?
Well, the 800 was new for 2003. Its basically an update for the f.i. 750, (more power, more torque, 50 more cc's) just like the 1000DS (duals spark-plugs, new motor) is an '03 update for the 900.

The first fuel injected bike was the 2001 M900 (or 2000, i cant remember) and subsequently all were injected after that. Except of course for the carburated 600 which was later replaced by the popular 620 which again is injected. But let's not worry about that, cause you're getting the 800!! ;D ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts